History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Manor Farmhouse

A Grade II Listed Building in West Challow, Oxfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.5949 / 51°35'41"N

Longitude: -1.4698 / 1°28'11"W

OS Eastings: 436824

OS Northings: 188578

OS Grid: SU368885

Mapcode National: GBR 6XY.TFY

Mapcode Global: VHC11.G5VQ

Entry Name: Manor Farmhouse

Listing Date: 25 October 1951

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1199065

English Heritage Legacy ID: 251287

Location: West Challow, Vale of White Horse, Oxfordshire, OX12

County: Oxfordshire

District: Vale of White Horse

Civil Parish: West Challow

Traditional County: Berkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire

Find accommodation in
Grove

Listing Text

WEST CHALLOW SILVER LANE
SU38NE (West side)
2/188 Manor Farmhouse
25/10/51

GV II*


Farmhouse. Graffito 1725 on brick to right of door; probably C17 core to right.
Flemish bond flared brick with red brick quoins and dressings; old tile roof;
flared and red brick stacks. L-plan. 2 storeys and attic; 5-window range. Centre
bay brought forward and has own parapet. Fine doorway has fluted pilasters and
carved brackets to flat hood with moulded cornice and panelled soffit;
6-panelled door with overlight. Gauged brick cambered arches with triple
keystones over sashes with half-H aprons. Red brick storey bands; parapet
panelled in red brick and is ramped to centre bay. Gabled roof dormers. Gabled
roof; end stacks. To rear right is 2-storey, one-bay block of Flemish bond
brick with gabled old tile roof, dentilled eaves, 2-storey canted bay window and
C17 timber-framed rear gable wall; similar early/mid C18 two-storey, 3-window
range block to rear. Left side wall of front range has early C18 brick wall
hiding narrow 2-storey early C18 rear block parallel to front range of similar
materials with gable end stack and 2-light leaded casements. Interior: Panelled
doors and shutters. 2-unit front range has panelled hall with quarter-turn
stairs; turned balusters on open string, carved brackets, wreathed handrail,
panelled dado with fluted pilasters. Early C17 panelling in room to right, with
early C18 alcoves flanking fireplace which has initials "RP 1604" in decorative
frieze overmantle. First-floor room to left has early C18 panelling to left with
mid C19 fireplace and grate, and room to right has ribbed doors flanking mid C19
fireplace and grate; bolection-moulded door in rear right wing. C19 back stairs
to cheese room in rear left wing. C18 winder stairs from first floor to attic,
which has early C18 plank door and bolection-moulded door. 4-bay collar-truss
roof; common rafter roof to rear left.


Listing NGR: SU3682488578

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.