This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.6922 / 51°41'31"N
Longitude: -1.6459 / 1°38'45"W
OS Eastings: 424569
OS Northings: 199325
OS Grid: SU245993
Mapcode National: GBR 5V6.YGP
Mapcode Global: VHC0C.FQ6N
Entry Name: Bradshaws Farmhouse with Attached Garden Wall
Listing Date: 12 September 1955
Last Amended: 30 March 1989
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1199066
English Heritage Legacy ID: 253810
Location: Kelmscott, West Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire, GL7
District: West Oxfordshire
Civil Parish: Kelmscott
Traditional County: Oxfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
Church of England Parish: Broadwell with Kelmscott
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
10/58 Bradshaws Farmhouse with
attached garden wall
(Formerly listed as Bradshaws
Farmhouse. Dated 1757 with C19 additions and alterations. Limestone ashlar front
with alternating chamfered angle quoins; roughly coursed and dressed rubble to
sides and rear. Hipped stone slate roof. Original L-plan with C19 addition in
angle to rear on right. 2 storeys on moulded chamfered plinth. Five-window
front, 2-light mullion windows in moulded architraves, those to first floor
directly below eaves, 2 to right of entrance on ground floor replaced by early
C19 tripartite glazing bar sash window reusing original mullions. Central
entrance; C18 pedimented doorcase with pulvinated frieze partly concealed by
early C19 stone pilastered porch with ogee arch to gable. 6-panel door with
raised oval and rectangular discs in fluted wood surround with plain rectangular
overlight. Initials "EB" in raised lettering and date "1757" scratched on lead
flashing of pediment. Integral axial stacks to back wall on left and right have
moulded dripstones and capping. Left return has cross window on each floor, that
to first floor infilled with brick. 2 cross windows with dripstones on each
floor to right return, those to right infilled with brick. C19 rubble stone
lean-to attached to short hip-roofed range at right-angles to rear on left and
C19 gabled range parallel to main range in angle to right (see straight joint).
Garden wall: attached to front corners of main range. Probably contemporary with
house. Roughly coursed limestone rubble with coping, ramped to angles. Interior.
Dog-leg staircase to central stone-flagged entrance hall has moulded handrail
and barleysugar balusters to open string. Raised and fielded panelling (c.1757)
in right ground-floor room, which also has contemporary moulded plaster ceiling
cornice and spine beam. C19 pilastered wood surround to fireplace. C18 moulded
stone surround to fireplace in left ground-floor room and 2 more to first
floor. Wide floor boards to first floor and attic, which has double-purlin
collar truss roof.
(Buildings of England: Oxfordshire: p667)
Listing NGR: SU2456999325
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings