This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.467 / 53°28'1"N
Longitude: -2.7552 / 2°45'18"W
OS Eastings: 349962
OS Northings: 396958
OS Grid: SJ499969
Mapcode National: GBR 9X6B.9X
Mapcode Global: WH874.N36Z
Entry Name: Ruins of Windleshaw Abbey in Roman Catholic Cemetery (Chapel of Saint Thomas of Canterbury)
Listing Date: 11 September 1951
Last Amended: 23 August 1985
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1199094
English Heritage Legacy ID: 216355
Location: St. Helens, WA10
County: St. Helens
Electoral Ward/Division: Windle
Built-Up Area: St Helens
Traditional County: Lancashire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Merseyside
Church of England Parish: St Helens Saint Andrew
Church of England Diocese: Liverpool
SJ 49 NE
ABBEY ROAD (west side),
Ruins of Windleshaw Abbey in Roman Catholic Cemetery (Chapel of Saint Thomas of Canterbury)
(Formerly listed as Ruins of Windleshaw Abbey, Hard Lane under General)
West tower and part of walls of chantry chapel of Sir Thomas Gerard, known as Windleshaw Abbey. c.1453. Stone. Tower has pointed entrance and west window with signs of tracery head, probably of 3-lights. 2-light bell openings have reticulated tracery, tracery bars missing to that on south side. Plain chamfered tower arch. Walls, partly reconstructed, support memorials, including a celtic-style cross at the east end.
Listing NGR: SJ4996296958
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings