This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.8179 / 51°49'4"N
Longitude: -1.4416 / 1°26'29"W
OS Eastings: 438588
OS Northings: 213399
OS Grid: SP385133
Mapcode National: GBR 6V8.VSD
Mapcode Global: VHBZW.YKRR
Entry Name: Church Farm House
Listing Date: 29 June 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1199108
English Heritage Legacy ID: 252828
Location: North Leigh, West Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire, OX29
District: West Oxfordshire
Civil Parish: North Leigh
Built-Up Area: North Leigh
Traditional County: Oxfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
Church of England Parish: North Leigh
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
1700/21/172 CHURCH ROAD
29-JUN-88 (West side)
CHURCH FARM HOUSE
House, formerly farmhouse, probably early C18.
MATERIALS: Squared coursed limestone rubble with stone slate roof.
PLAN: Symmetrically-planned main block of two-storeys plus attic and cellar, with ground-floor entrance lobby giving access to parlour, kitchen and projecting rear stair turret; smaller service wing adjoining kitchen to north.
EXTERIOR: Two-storey main block has symmetrical front of four bays. Flat stone arches over tall rectangular windows, originally with timber mullions and transoms (surviving on ground floor) and wrought-iron opening casements. Central doorway has moulded timber lintel above six-panel front door with glazed upper lights. Gabled roof with two attic dormers and end stacks replaced in yellow brick. Rear elevation has central projecting stair turret with hipped roof; lean-to extension with pantiled roof to left. Single-storey service wing to north, thought to be contemporary with main block, with attic dormer and end stack; mid-C20 conservatory to rear.
INTERIOR: Surviving features include C18 plank and panelled doors, fireplace in right-hand room on ground floor with rack (probably spit rack) above, further fireplace in left-hand room on first floor, and timber newel staircase in rear turret.
HISTORY: Church Farm House may have been built by the Perrott family, who held the manor of North Leigh in the early C18. Between 1765 and 1886 the house and farm were owned by the Duke of Marlborough and let to various tenants. Apart from a small rear extension built before 1876 and a conservatory added in the 1950s, the building has been little altered.
SOURCES: Victoria County History of Oxfordshire, vol.12 (1990), pp.213-9.
RB Wood-Jones, Traditional Domestic Architecture of the Banbury Region (1963).
REASONS FOR DESIGNATION: Church Farm House is listed for the following principal reason:
* Architectural interest: a little-altered example of a formally-planned farmhouse of the early C18.
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings