This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.4516 / 53°27'5"N
Longitude: -2.7349 / 2°44'5"W
OS Eastings: 351289
OS Northings: 395238
OS Grid: SJ512952
Mapcode National: GBR 9XBJ.PD
Mapcode Global: WH874.YHTR
Entry Name: Church of St Helen
Listing Date: 11 September 1951
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1199141
English Heritage Legacy ID: 216360
Location: St. Helens, WA10
County: St. Helens
Local Authority Ward: Town Centre
Built-Up Area: St Helens
Traditional County: Lancashire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Merseyside
Church of England Parish: St Helens St Helen
Church of England Diocese: Liverpool
SJ 59 NW ST. HELENS CHURCH STREET
4/70 Church of
Church. 1916-26. W.D. Caroe. Brick with stone dressings,
slate roof. Single vessel nave and chancel,aisles under
lean-to roofs, north east tower and chapel, south vestry.
West end has narthex and flanking turrets; 4 pointed
entrances in segmental headed architraves, quatrefoil
panelling above. Flying buttresses support nave, which has
5-light window with Perpendicular tracery. Low passages
with windows of 3 ogee-headed lights connect with square
embattled turrets with 2-light windows. Aisles have canted
buttresses and 3-light Perpendicular windows, clerestory
also has 3-light windows. Chancel has slightly canted east
end with 2;3;2-light windows with transoms. Tower has
diagonal buttresses and smaller side buttresses. Segmental
arches support gallery below paired 2-light straight-headed
bell openings. Plain parapet and square south east stair
turret. North face has 4-light window cut by buttress, base
of tower forms west bay of chapel, east bay has 4-light east
window. To west of tower, a gabled porch and transept.
Interior: 5-bay arcades with 4-centred arches has taller
blind arcades enclosing clerestory windows. Aisles have
elliptical-arched arcades to passages. West end has arches
to narthex passages and open octofoils to turrets.
Octagonal font with Classical font cover. Chancel has good
woodwork: choir stalls, reredos and parclose screens
designed by Caroe. Organ loft in tower and 2-bay minstrels'
gallery to south. The church shows imaginative use of brick
work; the tower is an important local landmark.
Listing NGR: SJ5128995238
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings