History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Kellaways House

A Grade II Listed Building in Bremhill, Wiltshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.4738 / 51°28'25"N

Longitude: -2.0516 / 2°3'5"W

OS Eastings: 396510

OS Northings: 174977

OS Grid: ST965749

Mapcode National: GBR 2SD.J46

Mapcode Global: VHB3V.D772

Entry Name: Kellaways House

Listing Date: 20 December 1960

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1199197

English Heritage Legacy ID: 316160

Location: Bremhill, Wiltshire, SN15

County: Wiltshire

Civil Parish: Bremhill

Traditional County: Wiltshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire

Church of England Parish: Bremhill

Church of England Diocese: Salisbury

Find accommodation in
Tytherton Lucas

Listing Text

BREMHILL EAST TYTHERTON
ST 97 SE
(north side)
8/36 Kellaways House
20.12.60
GV II
House, former Moravian girls' school, dated 1785, ashlar fronted
with stone slate roof, coped gables and end stacks. Three storey,
wide three-window range with sashes, in triplets each side and 16-
pane to centre over 6-panel door in raised moulded surround with
hood on brackets. Triplets are of 12-pane sashes to ground and
first floors, 9-pane to second floor. Two raised bands and eaves
band. Two storey range to east with first floor 20-pane sash, band
and ground floor 6-panel door in raised moulded surround with hood
on brackets, flanked by 12-pane sash each side. West end wall is
ashlar with three raised bands, the upper band broken by large
round arched window with keystone and date 1785. Two roundels in
gable above. Rear wall is of red brick with ashlar bands and
window surrounds. Attic centre 16-pane sash, first floor centre
large 24-pane stair light with triplet of 12-pane sashes each side,
ground floor pairs of 12-pane sashes each side of added projecting
porch. House was built for 'single sisters' of the Moravian
settlement established at East Tytherton from 1743. Foundation
stone 19.5.1785, opened 11.10.1786. In 1877 it was converted to
use as a boarding school. The Rev W.L. Bowles in 1828 described it
as a house for ladies employed in fine needlework.
(Informationfrom C. Stell; W.L. Bowles; A parochial history of
the parish of Bremhill, 1828 153-5; N. Pevsner, Wiltshire, 1975
234)


Listing NGR: ST9651074977

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.