This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.4283 / 53°25'41"N
Longitude: -2.7211 / 2°43'15"W
OS Eastings: 352185
OS Northings: 392631
OS Grid: SJ521926
Mapcode National: GBR 9XFS.PS
Mapcode Global: WH87C.53J4
Entry Name: Church of St Nicholas
Listing Date: 23 August 1985
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1199239
English Heritage Legacy ID: 216375
Location: St. Helens, WA9
County: St. Helens
Electoral Ward/Division: Sutton
Built-Up Area: St Helens
Traditional County: Lancashire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Merseyside
Church of England Parish: Sutton St Nicholas
Church of England Diocese: Liverpool
SJ 59 SW ST. HELENS NEW STREET
8/84 Church of
- Saint Nicholas
Church. 1848-9. Sharpe and Paley, tower of 1897. Rubble
walling, with ashlar dressings and slate roof. 5-bay nave
with aisles under lean-to roof; west tower; chancel with
south organ loft. Aisles have cornice with beasts and
parapet; 3-light windows with Geometrical tracery. Gabled
south porch with pointed entrance of one order. Clerestory
has spherical triangle windows. Tower has diagonal
buttresses; west window of 3 lights with transom; 2-light
louvred bell openings; embattled parapet; low stair turret.
3-bay chancel has gabled setback buttresses and foliated
cornice and parapet. Small north vestry. 2 windows of 2
lights to north and south and 3-light east window. Organ
loft has gable and 2-light window above buttress; east
window in angle, of 2 lights under half relieving arch.
Interior: high narrow nave with arcades on round piers.
Collar-truss roof on wall shafts on angel corbels. Chancel
arch on corbelled wall shafts with foliated corbels and
capitals. Octagonal font with clustered shafts. Pulpit
corbelled from wall with pointed entrance and canted stair
turret in north aisle. Chancel has arch-braced collar roof.
North and south stained glass windows of 1850's and 1890's.
East window dated 1879 probably by Holiday and Powell;
flanking commandment panels with nodding ogee heads.
Listing NGR: SJ5218592631
Other nearby listed buildings