History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Thomas Mills Almshouses

A Grade II* Listed Building in Framlingham, Suffolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.2207 / 52°13'14"N

Longitude: 1.3415 / 1°20'29"E

OS Eastings: 628337

OS Northings: 263312

OS Grid: TM283633

Mapcode National: GBR WNN.PZK

Mapcode Global: VHLB4.6GK0

Entry Name: Thomas Mills Almshouses

Listing Date: 25 October 1951

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1199250

English Heritage Legacy ID: 286400

Location: Framlingham, Suffolk Coastal, Suffolk, IP13

County: Suffolk

District: Suffolk Coastal

Civil Parish: Framlingham

Built-Up Area: Framlingham

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Church of England Parish: Framlingham St Michael

Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich

Find accommodation in
Framlingham

Listing Text

TM 26 SE FRAMLINGHAM STATION ROAD

4/122 Thomas Mills Almshouses
25.10.51

GV II*

A row of 8 almshouses, built under the will of Thomas Mills of Framlingham
(d.1703), and completed by 1705. 2 storeys. Red brick with band; dark
headers; plaintiles, and a heavy modillion cornice. 4 internal chimney-stacks
with large plain red brick shafts. 20 windows, arranged in groups of 5, each
group having a single-light window with transom flanked by 2 cross windows on
each side. All the lights have square leaded panes. 8 recessed doors, with
applied bolection mouldings forming 2 panels, and simple moulded architraves:
a door set below the 2nd and 4th windows in each group of 5. Flat gauged
arches above the ground-storey windows and the doors. Thomas Mills, a
wheelwright and timber-merchant of Framlingham, and the leader of the Baptist
congregation there, bequeathed money for 6 almshouses; the money for the
remaining 2 was given by his lifelong friend, William Mayhew (a,1713).


Listing NGR: TM2833763312

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.