This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.22 / 52°13'12"N
Longitude: 1.342 / 1°20'31"E
OS Eastings: 628375
OS Northings: 263241
OS Grid: TM283632
Mapcode National: GBR WNN.XSL
Mapcode Global: VHLB4.6GTH
Entry Name: Tomb House
Listing Date: 7 December 1966
Last Amended: 18 December 1985
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1199260
English Heritage Legacy ID: 286403
Location: Framlingham, Suffolk Coastal, Suffolk, IP13
District: Suffolk Coastal
Civil Parish: Framlingham
Built-Up Area: Framlingham
Traditional County: Suffolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk
Church of England Parish: Framlingham St Michael
Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich
TM 26 SE FRAMLINGHAM STATION ROAD
4/125 Tomb House (formerly
listed as Thomas Mills'
A Mausoleum enclosing the combs of Thomas Mills and his 'faithful servant'
William Mayhew. Early C19. Brick and stucco, with rustication to the quoins
and a flat, lead-covered roof. A 2-light window to the front, and a single-
light window on each side, all in Tudor style, with hoodmoulds, pointed arches
and spandrels. The lights have very small leaded panes behind wire netting.
At the rear is a doorway with a similar surround and boarded door. A black
marble tablet below the window on the front is inscribed: 'In memory of Thomas
Mills (who died Jany. 13th,1703). Founder of the adjoining Almshouses, and
Donor of several Estates to charitable uses, Also his faithful Servant William
Mayhew.' Inside the Tomb House is a table monument with the following
inscription on a black marble slab: 'Here Lyeth Interred the Body of THOMAS
MILLS, late of Framlingham, in the County of Suffolk, who Departed this Life
January the 13th Anno Dom. 1703, in the Eightieth year of his Age. Who Gave
an Almshouse, & other Large Gifts to the Town of Framlingham & to six other
Towns where his Estate lay.' William Mayhew, who died in 1713, lies buried on
the north side of the tomb under a stone slab flush with the floor.
Listing NGR: TM2837563241
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings