This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.7333 / 51°43'59"N
Longitude: -1.584 / 1°35'2"W
OS Eastings: 428825
OS Northings: 203928
OS Grid: SP288039
Mapcode National: GBR 5TX.8CG
Mapcode Global: VHC06.HPGL
Entry Name: Manor Farmhouse
Listing Date: 17 December 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1199270
English Heritage Legacy ID: 253456
Location: Black Bourton, West Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire, OX18
District: West Oxfordshire
Civil Parish: Black Bourton
Traditional County: Oxfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
Church of England Parish: Black Bourton
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
SP20SE CARTERTON AND BLACK BOURTON BAMPTON ROAD
5/146 Black Bourton
17/12/86 Manor Farmhouse
Farmhouse. C15 in origin, altered C17, with large extension of c.1860 to south.
Older part is of coursed rubble limestone with stone slate roof, and has
cruciform rubble stone chimney to original left gable end, and smaller rubble
chimney shaft to centre. Former hall, with inserted floors. 2 storeys, 2 bays.
Left bay has 3-light windows with chamfered stone mullions, possibly C17 in
origin but restored later. Right bay has earlier C16/C17 stone mullion windows
with hollow chamfering and hoodmoulds, the ground floor with tall cross window,
the upper floor with 3-light window in gabled semi-dormers. All windows have old
leaded glazing, and lower windows both have segmental rubble relieving arches.
Slightly off-centre is a C19/C20 gabled stone porch, incorporating old board
door with strap hinges, in moulded wooden doorframe with scroll stops. Porch
also has weatherboarded gable and window in right side with heavy turned wooden
balusters. Attached to left end of old wing is a lower 2-bay range with catslide
projection to front of right bay. To right is large wing of c.1860, of squared
and coursed rubble with dressed quoins, plain tile roof and coped gables. 2
storeys and attic. Main south front of this wing has wide gabled bay to left,
and 2-3 narrow bays to right, all in Gothick style with sets of arched sashes,
the lower windows with carved foliage capitals to central colonettes. Arched
door in left narrow bay. Interior not inspected at time of resurvey, 1986, but
photograph of 1939 in National Monument Records shows fine C15 arch-braced
collar truss with hollow chamfering, and 2 tiers of arched wind-braces.
Listing NGR: SP2882503928
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings