This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.8774 / 51°52'38"N
Longitude: -1.66 / 1°39'35"W
OS Eastings: 423504
OS Northings: 219928
OS Grid: SP235199
Mapcode National: GBR 5S2.74Q
Mapcode Global: VHBZL.52SL
Entry Name: Idbury Manor
Listing Date: 27 August 1957
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1199297
English Heritage Legacy ID: 254002
Location: Idbury, West Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire, OX7
District: West Oxfordshire
Civil Parish: Idbury
Traditional County: Oxfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
Church of England Parish: Fifield with Idbury
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
IDBURY CHURCH STREET
SP2lNW (South side)
9/109 Idbury Manor
Farmhouse, now house. Dated 1570 but mainly late C17 with later additions and
alterations. Limestone ashlar to front and left gable end; roughly coursed
rubble to rear and right gable end; stone slate roof with coped verges.
Double-depth plan. 2 storeys with semi-basement and attic. 3-window front;
3-light cavetto-moulded leaded mullion windows, except centre on first floor of
2. Central entrance with C20 ledged door under ribbed segmental wooden hood
approached by flight of 5 semi-basement to either side. Gabled full dormers to
left and right with C20 wooden cross windows (leaded) extending below eaves.
Roundel above first-floor centre window inscribed "O/MORE
THAN/HAPPY/COUNTRYMAN/IF/HE BUT KNEW/HIS GOOD/FORTUNE". Twin gable ends have
external end stacks with integral shafts having moulded dripstones and capping.
4 narrow rectangular windows directly above each other to right of rear stack to
left side, bottom with moulded datestone inscribed "M/1570" above. Rear has
original fenestration pattern of 3 windows to first and second floors, 3-light
mullions to left and right with 2-light mullion to centre, right window on first
floor slightly enlarged and mullions removed. Late C20 narrow rectangular window
between centre and left windows on first floor. 2 gabled dormers with 4-light
leaded mullion windows. Semi-basement has 3-light mullion windows to left and
right with inner plank doors and infilled 2-light mullion window to centre.
Interior. Main ground-floor room (originally 2 with central cross passage) has 4
chamfered cross beams and large open fireplace with segmental stone lintel to
right. Dog-leg staircase in rear range rises to attic and continues down to
semi-basement; slender turned balusters, closed string and moulded handrail.
Left ground-floor room in rear range has small moulded stone fireplace with
pedimented overmantel. Similar fireplace to rear right room on first floor.
Plank doors throughout and chamfered ceiling beams to other ground- and
first-floor rooms. 3-bay barrel vaulted cellar, centre bay divided by C20 brick
wall. Collar and tie beam roof in 5 bays to front range with 3 butt-purlins to
front wall; similar roof with double purlins to rear range.
Listing NGR: SP2350619925
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings