This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.6455 / 51°38'43"N
Longitude: -1.4376 / 1°26'15"W
OS Eastings: 439011
OS Northings: 194230
OS Grid: SU390942
Mapcode National: GBR 6XD.WXF
Mapcode Global: VHC0P.1WCX
Entry Name: Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 9 February 1966
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1199327
English Heritage Legacy ID: 249631
Location: Lyford, Vale of White Horse, Oxfordshire, OX12
District: Vale of White Horse
Civil Parish: Lyford
Traditional County: Berkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
Church of England Parish: Lyford
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
LYFORD THE GREEN
SU39SE (South side)
7/133 Church of St. Mary
Church. Early C13: early C16 clerestory: restored 1875 by Ewan Christian.
Uncoursed limestone rubble: gabled nave roof of sheet lead, and chancel roof of
old and C20 tiles. Nave and chancel. East lancet window of 1875: 2-bay chancel
side walls have C13 pointed lancets, and C16 light to south and C13
trefoil-headed light to north. 2-bay south wall of nave has central C13 pointed
chamfered blocked doorway flanked by C13 pointed lancets: two early C16 two- and
3-light round-arched clerestory windows. North wall: C13 lancet to east, C13
finial pointed chamfered doorway to C19 door; mid C19 timber porch has reset C15
oak archway to front; similar clerestory windows. Circled cross east on west
gable: geometrical west window of 1875: west belfry has mid C19 weatherboarding
and pyramidal Welsh slate roof. Interior: chancel has C13 piscina with
foliate-carved credence shelf, C13 aumbry and mid C19 tile floor and benches.
Chancel arch of 1875. Jacobean pulpit has stylised tulips set within blind
arches. C15 octagonal font on shelf. Seven C17/C18 benches to north, similar C19
benches to south. 4-bay tie-beam roof with arch-braced posts supported on
corbels. Heavy C15 oak posts strengthened by ogee scissor braces rise to support
the belfry which is probably early C16 (dating from insertion of clerestory).
Early C16 four-bay Perpendicular screens, originally rood screen moved to flank
belfry posts at west end.
(V.M. Howse, Lyford: A Parish Record, pp.12-17; Buildings of England: Berkshire,
Listing NGR: SU3901194230
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings