History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

British Rail Engineering Limited: Swindon Works, No 12 Shop (V Shop), O and E Shop (32, 33 and 35 Shops)

A Grade II* Listed Building in Mannington and Western, Swindon

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.5626 / 51°33'45"N

Longitude: -1.7981 / 1°47'53"W

OS Eastings: 414092

OS Northings: 184876

OS Grid: SU140848

Mapcode National: GBR YNS.BB

Mapcode Global: VHB3D.SZ8H

Entry Name: British Rail Engineering Limited: Swindon Works, No 12 Shop (V Shop), O and E Shop (32, 33 and 35 Shops)

Listing Date: 18 May 1984

Last Amended: 11 January 1993

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1199356

English Heritage Legacy ID: 318809

Location: Swindon, SN2

County: Swindon

Electoral Ward/Division: Mannington and Western

Built-Up Area: Swindon

Traditional County: Wiltshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire

Church of England Parish: Swindon St Augustine

Church of England Diocese: Bristol

Find accommodation in
Stratton Saint Margaret

Listing Text

In the entries for:-

SWINDON
SU 1484 NW RODBOURNE ROAD
BREL: Swindon Works
5/147 No 12 Shop (V. Shop)
18.5.84
GV II*
--------------------------------------------
and:-
SU 1484 NW SWINDON RODBOURNE ROAD
BREL: Swindon Works
5/151 O and E Shop.
(32, 33 and 35
18.5.54 Shops)
GV II
--------------------------------------------

the entries shall be combined into one entry (at Grade II*) and
amended to read as follows:-

SU 1484 NW SWINDON RODBOURNE ROAD
BREL: Swindon Works
5/147 No 12 shop (V shop) and O and E shop
(32, 3 3 and 35 shops )
18.5.54
GV II*

Locomotive building works. 1874, extended c1879, c1885 and 1924.
Iron-framed with red brick exterior walls with limestone ashlar and
yellow brick dressings; multi-gabled Welsh slate roofs with glazed
clerestories and glazed timber-framed gable ends.
PLAN AND DEVELOPMENT: T-shaped plan has 50-bay east facade and extends
30 bays to Rodbourne Road on west side; the front (east) block was 8
bays deep to the south of the 'T' and 6 bays to the north while the
broad stem of the 'T' was a single working space 24 bays long and 18
bays wide below 6 roofing ranges. The front range contained brass
foundry and turning shops at the southern end, machine shops for
cylinders and frames flanking a wide entrance bay and the hydraulic
power centre with an accumulator tower at the extreme northern end. The
stem of the 'T' was the locomotive erecting shop and boiler shop.
The stem as broadened to the north by 8 bays (structurally 3,3 and 2)
c1879 and to the south by 6 bays c1885 and by 3 bays c1924.
EXTERIOR: One storey. The west facade facing Rodbourne Road is a long
brick frontage with arched openings. East facade articulated by yellow
brick semi-circular arches with limestone keys and impost mouldings;
segmental-arched windows, set within inner arches, over C20 windows and
late C19 horned 10/10-pane sashes; moulded cornice. Similar 8-bay south
end wall; north end wall rebuilt C20. Plain south-facing facade of 1924
extension has segmental-arched sashes and cast-iron casements with
opening lights.
INTERIOR: No 12 Shop has cast-iron columns in two tiers, the lower
heavier ones carrying crane gantry beams and brackets for line shafting;
columns support a wrought iron and glazed roof structure; there is a
surviving 20-ton crane, now electrified, with chain hoist, made up of an
inverted iron structure. Rest of 1874 structure has 2 rows of cast-iron
columns supporting wrought-iron roof construction. 19 tall columns in
each row, with large brackets to support travelling gantry cranes and.
have pierced cast-iron girders spanning between the columns for fixing
machinery, tools etc.
This building formed the centrepiece of the large-scale expansion of the
GWR works in the 1870's and an extremely impressive industrial structure
of the period. One of an important group of Victorian industrial
buildings of the GWR works. Hooters on north-east side are claimed to
have been those of the SS Great Britain.
Formerly listed as items 147 and 151-.


Listing NGR: SU1409284876

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.