History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Kellaways Farmhouse

A Grade II* Listed Building in Langley Burrell Without, Wiltshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.478 / 51°28'40"N

Longitude: -2.073 / 2°4'22"W

OS Eastings: 395025

OS Northings: 175456

OS Grid: ST950754

Mapcode National: GBR 2SC.BP9

Mapcode Global: VHB3V.03YR

Entry Name: Kellaways Farmhouse

Listing Date: 20 December 1960

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1199380

English Heritage Legacy ID: 315982

Location: Langley Burrell Without, Wiltshire, SN15

County: Wiltshire

Civil Parish: Langley Burrell Without

Traditional County: Wiltshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire

Church of England Parish: Tytherton Kellaways

Church of England Diocese: Bristol

Find accommodation in
Tytherton Lucas

Listing Text

LANGLEY BURRELL KELLAWAYS
ST 97 NE WITHOUT

9/169 Kellaways Farmhouse

20.12.60
II*

Manor house, C17, dated RS 1674, rubble stone with stone slate
roofs, coped gables and ashlar diagonal stacks. Two storeys and
attic, square plan with ovolo-moulded stone mullion windows and
hoodmoulds. Formal 3-window north front with large centre coped
gable and attic 3-light window with date plaque over. First floor
3-light each side and centre 2-light. Ground floor C20 four-light
each side of plank door in flush chamfered surround with small
square over light and hoodmould stepped over. West side has gable
with 3-light to left, three axial stacks on ridge to right, first
floor two 2-lights and ground floor two C20 three-lights and a
single light. East side has gable with attic 3-light to right, two
first floor 3-lights and two ground floor 4-lights, that to left
original. Two-gabled rear with two attic 2-lights, two first floor
3-lights and ground floor lean-to to left and 3-light to right. At
south west angle is attached a 2-storey dairy and cheese room
addition, probably early C19.
Interior: apparently all of one build with chamfered and stopped
beams, moulded Tudor-arched fireplace in north east ground floor
room and upstairs back-to-back timber-lintel fireplaces. The Manor
of Kellaways is recorded as held by the Kellaways family from the
C12 to c1424. From c1500 to 1844 held by the Long family of
Draycot and South Wraxall.


Listing NGR: ST9502575456

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.