History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Hyde Cottage and Attached Stables

A Grade II Listed Building in Carterton, Oxfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.7602 / 51°45'36"N

Longitude: -1.6007 / 1°36'2"W

OS Eastings: 427655

OS Northings: 206915

OS Grid: SP276069

Mapcode National: GBR 5TH.Q3C

Mapcode Global: VHC06.60MX

Entry Name: Hyde Cottage and Attached Stables

Listing Date: 12 September 1955

Last Amended: 4 May 1989

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1199402

English Heritage Legacy ID: 253473

Location: Carterton, West Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire, OX18

County: Oxfordshire

District: West Oxfordshire

Civil Parish: Carterton

Built-Up Area: Carterton

Traditional County: Oxfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire

Church of England Parish: Carterton

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in
Carterton

Listing Text

SP20NE CARTERTON AND BLACK BOURTON LAWTON AVENUE
(North-west side)
Carterton
2/162 No.43 (Hyde Cottage) and
12/09/73 attached stables
(Formerly listed as Nos.43
(Hyde Cottage) and attached
barn)

GV II
Former cartshed and lofted stable, the cartshed converted to cottage mid C20.
Late C18-early C19, the cartshed altered C20. Coursed rubble limestone with
stone slate roofs and a C20 brick chimney. Cottage is of one storey and 2 bays,
formerly open to front but now with 2 C20 rectangular bay windows and a C20 door
to right. Taller stable range projects to left, and has loft door with flat
stone arch and keyblock in front gable end. External steps are missing. Later
door below. Right return of stable range has 2 loft windows with paired wooden
casements in gabled eaves-line dormers; left return has 2 stable doorways with
segmental stone heads. Formerly part of Rock Farm, established after the
Enclosure Act of 1770, the farmhouse now known as No.45 (Manor Guest House),
Lawton Avenue (q.v.).


Listing NGR: SP2765506915

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.