History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Langley House

A Grade II* Listed Building in Langley Burrell Without, Wiltshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.481 / 51°28'51"N

Longitude: -2.1042 / 2°6'14"W

OS Eastings: 392862

OS Northings: 175785

OS Grid: ST928757

Mapcode National: GBR 2SB.2TR

Mapcode Global: VH96C.G1ZH

Entry Name: Langley House

Listing Date: 20 December 1960

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1199409

English Heritage Legacy ID: 315988

Location: Langley Burrell Without, Wiltshire, SN15

County: Wiltshire

Civil Parish: Langley Burrell Without

Traditional County: Wiltshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire

Church of England Parish: St Paul, Chippenham with Langley Burrell

Church of England Diocese: Bristol

Find accommodation in
Tytherton Lucas

Listing Text

LANGLEY BURRELL SWINDON ROAD
ST 97 NW WITHOUT (east side)

8/175 Langley House

20.12.60

GV IT*


Country house, 1780 for R. Ashe, squared rubble stone with white
lime joints, ashlar dressings, hipped stone slate roof and ashlar
stacks. Three storeys, square plan with formal 5-window west front
and 6-window south front. Ashlar plinth, band, moulded cornice,
parapet and rusticated quoins. Sash windows in ashlar architraves,
12-pane to main floors and 9-pane to upper floor, shutters to main
floor windows on west front and ground floor of south front. West
front has central 8-panel door in Roman Doric pedimented doorcase.
East side has similar one-window range to left and two-window range
to right and two large central stair-lights. Steps down to
basement door. North side has similar one-window range, facing
north, then set-back section with one-window range facing west.
Attached to north is lower kitchen range with hipped valley roof
and long north side windows. Running east from east end of
kitchens is low L-plan single storey and attic range with ridge
stack, cyma-moulded flush mullion windows and various depressed-
arched openings. This, with a high coped wall running east to
stable block (q.v.) encloses the rear service court. Wall has
blocked large arched opening adjoining house and continues some 32m
east.
Interior: apparently little altered with original moulded plaster
cornices, panelling to south west dining room, dado-panelling to
south east drawing room and fielded panelled doors. Entrance hall
has 2-arched screen across end to 2-bay plaster-vaulted cross-
passage with stair-hall beyond. Staircase has moulded brackets,
turned balusters and moulded rail. Langley estate was bought by
Henry White of Grittleton 1601, sold c1655 to Samuel Ashe, clothier
of Freshford and has been held by the Ashe family since. The house
is much associated with the Rev Francis Kilvert, whose father was
appointed rector of Langley Burrell by Robert Ashe, a cousin of
Mrs. Kilvert, in 1855.


Listing NGR: ST9286275785

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.