History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Gazebo, with Attached Walls Surrounding Garden to South West of Broughton Hall, and Walls Along North East Side of Lady's Walk

A Grade II Listed Building in Filkins, Oxfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.7317 / 51°43'54"N

Longitude: -1.6629 / 1°39'46"W

OS Eastings: 423380

OS Northings: 203717

OS Grid: SP233037

Mapcode National: GBR 5TT.6G7

Mapcode Global: VHC05.4Q8V

Entry Name: Gazebo, with Attached Walls Surrounding Garden to South West of Broughton Hall, and Walls Along North East Side of Lady's Walk

Listing Date: 12 September 1955

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1199459

English Heritage Legacy ID: 253482

Location: Filkins and Broughton Poggs, West Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire, GL7

County: Oxfordshire

District: West Oxfordshire

Civil Parish: Filkins and Broughton Poggs

Built-Up Area: Filkins

Traditional County: Oxfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire

Church of England Parish: Broughton Poggs with Filkins

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in
Broadwell

Listing Text

SP2203-2303 FILKINS AND BROUGHTON POGGS BROUGHTON POGGS
11/171 Gazebo, with attached walls
12/09/55 surrounding garden to SW of
Broughton Hall, and walls
along NE side of Lady's Walk

GV II
Gazebo and garden walls. Circa 1800. Gazebo said to be by Richard Pace of
Lechlade. Gazebo is built of coursed rubble limestone with ashlar dressings and
roughcast upper storey. Roof concealed by parapet. Small square building of 2
storeys. Ground floor has raised ashlar quoins, moulded string above, and
2-light stone mullion window in raised surround to south. Board door to north.
Main upper storey has chamfered quoins, moulded cornice and parapet. North and
south sides of this storey have 3-pane sashes in moulded architrave surrounds,
and east side has double half-glazed doors with large rectangular fanlight and
similar surround. Doors are approached by an external flight of 14 moulded stone
steps on coursed stone base. Simple wrought iron handrail with scrolled panels
to landing. Garden walls are of squared and coursed limestone with shallow
monopitch stone coping, and are c.2 metres high. South and west walls of garden
each have gateway with segmental ashlar arch and keyblock. West wall is
continued in rubble stone to north and south, along side of walk, the south wall
with similar gateway.


Listing NGR: SP2338003717

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.