History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St James

A Grade II* Listed Building in Rousham, Oxfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.914 / 51°54'50"N

Longitude: -1.3037 / 1°18'13"W

OS Eastings: 447993

OS Northings: 224169

OS Grid: SP479241

Mapcode National: GBR 7VM.TFZ

Mapcode Global: VHCX1.C552

Entry Name: Church of St James

Listing Date: 27 August 1957

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1199466

English Heritage Legacy ID: 252900

Location: Rousham, West Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire, OX25

County: Oxfordshire

District: West Oxfordshire

Civil Parish: Rousham

Traditional County: Oxfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire

Church of England Parish: Rousham

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in
Steeple Aston

Listing Text

ROUSHAM ROUSHAM VILLAGE
SP4724, SP42SE
14/244, 4/244 Church of St. James
27/08/57
GV II
Church. Late C12, enlarged in early C14 and with late C15 alterations; early C13
west tower. Coursed limestone rubble and larger blocks of ironstone with ashlar
dressings; gabled stone slate roof to chancel and Welsh slate roof to nave.
Chancel, aisled nave and west tower. Two-bay chancel has mid C19 Decorated-style
east and south windows, and lancet and trefoiled 3-light window to north. North
side of nave has 2 offset buttresses, a late C13 two-light trefoil-headed window
set in early C13 blocked archway, a C15 cinquefoiled 2-light clerestory window,
a blocked C17 chamfered Tudor-arched doorway, and 2 adjoining C15 two-light
transomed and cinquefoiled windows. South aisle has label moulds over early C14
three-light trefoiled window and a C15 two-light cinquefoiled window, an early
C14 trefoiled lancet and 2-light Decorated west window. Gabled mid C19 south
porch has head of C13 lancet and a C14 sexfoiled light reset as side lights:
hood mould over early C14 pointed moulded south door. C14 cinquefoiled 2-light
clerestory windows. Early/mid C13 three-stage west tower has small corner
buttresses, a C14 hollow-moulded west door, pointed lancets, 2-light
round-headed belfry windows and crenellated parapet of c.1860. Interior:
alabaster reredos of c.1907; early C14 Decorated piscina. Late C12 pointed and
roll-moulded chancel arch has carved star-in-square pattern to hood mould and
trumpet-scalloped respond to east. Late C12 three-bay nave arcade, with pointed
arches and beaded capital to centre and early C14 bay to west. Part of rood
stairs remain, adjoining C15 traceried and panelled screen, with part of rood
loft remaining, to south chapel. Chapel has early C14 ogee-headed piscina and
organ case by Kitchen of Winchester (1903) which has Gothic pinnacles and reused
late C17 balusters and pew backs. Late C17 polygonal pulpit and pews with
Jacobean-style carvings to panels. C13 double-chamfered tower arch. Memorials:
C18 hatchment of arms beneath clerestory; C19 wall tablets to Cottrell-Dormer
family; architectural frame to mid C18 monument to south aisle erected c.1758 by
Charles Cottrell-Dormer; kneeling figures of John Dormer (d.1581) and wife
brought from Steeple Barton Church in 1851 and reset in niche in south chapel;
memorial tablet of Justina Dormer, d,1627, in south aisle; C17 and C18 memorial
slabs with medallion portraits of Robert Grovelier, Rector, d.1720 and Reverend
R. Burton, d.1730. Stained glass: late C19; west window of south aisle has C16
and C17 glass from Sesswell's Barton, on site of Barton Abbey (q.v.), reset as
memorial to General James Dormer in 1742. The dedication of the church to St.
Germanus suggest an early association with Christianity.
(Buildings of England: Oxfordshire: pp739-40; VCH: Oxfordshire: Vol XI, p159;
National Monuments Record)


Listing NGR: SP4799324169

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.