This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.5103 / 53°30'37"N
Longitude: -2.9434 / 2°56'36"W
OS Eastings: 337533
OS Northings: 401930
OS Grid: SD375019
Mapcode National: GBR 7WWV.KC
Mapcode Global: WH86V.R1L7
Entry Name: Maghull Chapel
Listing Date: 11 October 1968
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1199487
English Heritage Legacy ID: 216498
Location: Maghull, Sefton, L31
Civil Parish: Maghull
Built-Up Area: Maghull
Traditional County: Lancashire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Merseyside
Church of England Parish: Maghull St Andrew
Church of England Diocese: Liverpool
SD 30 SE
DAMFIELD LANE (south-west side)
Chancel and north Unsworth chapel of former parish church. Late C13 with later alterations; west wall and west bay of south wall of 1883 following demolition of nave; bell turret re-used from nave of 1775. Stone with stone slate roofs, stone coped gables. East end has diagonal buttresses and central buttress, chancel has 2-light window with Perpendicular tracery and chapel has 3-light window with intersected tracery. West end has south angle buttresses with octagonal turret over; string course cornice and cupola with ball finial, and 4 lancet openings. Porch to chapel is gabled with pointed double-chamfered entrance. Inner entrance is round-headed with octagonal jambs; wide-boarded door in frame with glazed quatrefoils. Round-headed entrance to chancel. Lancet to chapel and triple lancets to chancel. South side has 2 straight-headed windows of 2 lights with creped ogee heads; north side has buttress. Interior: 2-bay arcade has double-chamfered arches on round pier. C19 Scissor-braced roofs. Chancel has sedilia and piscina recess, canopy missing. Remains of north side of chancel arch. Remains of wall painting to south of east window, which has tracery dating from restoration of 1883. Iron railings to arcade. Some late C18 and early C19 wall memorials; board commemorates enlargement of church in 1830. Octagonal font has C19 base and cover. Stone vessel of uncertain purpose at west end of chancel. Late C17 chained chancel prayer book and book of homilies; bible of 1830. Some early C17 chairs and bench. Baluster for sundial of 1781 on sill of west window. The chapel is an important medieval survival in an area with few such buildings.
Listing NGR: SD3753301930
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings