History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Michael

A Grade II* Listed Building in Rendham, Suffolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.2285 / 52°13'42"N

Longitude: 1.4395 / 1°26'22"E

OS Eastings: 634985

OS Northings: 264494

OS Grid: TM349644

Mapcode National: GBR WNS.BQ9

Mapcode Global: VHM7M.W7VZ

Entry Name: Church of St Michael

Listing Date: 7 December 1966

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1199503

English Heritage Legacy ID: 285695

Location: Rendham, Suffolk Coastal, Suffolk, IP17

County: Suffolk

District: Suffolk Coastal

Civil Parish: Rendham

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Church of England Parish: Rendham St Michael

Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich

Find accommodation in
Rendham

Listing Text

TM 36 SW RENDHAM THE STREET

11/100 CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL
7.12.66
GV II*

Parish church. Medieval, restored 1852. Nave, chancel, west tower, north
porch, north vestry. Random flint rubble, remains of plaster to east wall of
chancel, stone dressings; plaintiled roofs to nave and porch, slates to
chancel. C15 tower: 4 stages and crenellated parapet, diagonal buttresses to
west face; 2-light west window with blocked niche above, 2-light Y tracery
bell chamber openings; panelled flushwork to parapet and buttresses, clock
face to north. Nave with 2 C15 windows (one largely original) and blocked
doorway to south, one 2-light C15 window to north; simple C15 porch with
knapped flint facade and empty niche over doorway. C14 chancel: 2 broad
lancet windows and Priest's doorway to south, one 2-light Y tracery window to
north and a 4-light east window with intersecting tracery. Simple arch-braced
nave roof of 6 bays with moulded wallplate; no chancel arch. Plain octagonal
font, probably C19; good pulpit complete with backboard and tester, dated
'1632 WP'; set of 26 C19 box pews in nave; sanctuary with simple piscina and
late C19 stone reredos, the panels painted with the Lord's Prayer, Commandments
and Creed. 2 sets of Royal Arms: Charles II on north nave wall, Victoria over
tower arch. Graded II* for surviving medieval fabric.


Listing NGR: TM3498564494

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.