History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Old Rectory

A Grade II Listed Building in Filkins and Broughton Poggs, Oxfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.7332 / 51°43'59"N

Longitude: -1.6623 / 1°39'44"W

OS Eastings: 423419

OS Northings: 203880

OS Grid: SP234038

Mapcode National: GBR 5TT.6L3

Mapcode Global: VHC05.4PLQ

Entry Name: The Old Rectory

Listing Date: 12 September 1955

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1199523

English Heritage Legacy ID: 253489

Location: Filkins and Broughton Poggs, West Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire, GL7

County: Oxfordshire

District: West Oxfordshire

Civil Parish: Filkins and Broughton Poggs

Built-Up Area: Filkins

Traditional County: Oxfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire

Church of England Parish: Broughton Poggs with Filkins

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in
Broadwell

Listing Text

SP2203-2303 FILKINS AND BROUGHTON POGGS BROUGHTON POGGS
11/178 The Old Rectory
12/09/55

II
Former rectory, now house. Probably late C17-early C18 in origin, but remodelled
and extended 1808-09 by Richard Pace of Lechlade. Further altered early C20.
Coursed rubble limestone with dressed quoins; stone slate roofs with coped
gables; rendered and ashlar chimneys with moulded strings. U-plan, with
additional small wing projecting to east. 2 storeys. South front has 3-bay main
block with 2-light stone mullion windows. All windows have Tudor hoodmoulds, and
upper windows have recessed chamfers. Small gables over upper windows, leaded
glazing, and some mullions may be early C20 alterations. Ground floor right
window is set into blocked doorway. To right is a single storey wing of 1808-9,
with 3 bays of 3-pane sashes in raised stone architrave surrounds with
keyblocks. Over each sash is a shaped relieving arch. West front is also of 3
bays with gabled outer bays. This front has early C20 leaded casements with
older Tudor hoodmoulds, and central door with 4 shaped panels. In front is an
ashlar porch of 1808-9, with moulded string and parapet, and 3 chamfered
archways to front. East front is irregular but retains 3 early C19 4-pane sashes
to first floor, and door with Gothick glazing. Interior remodelled early C19,
the staircase with turned balusters, wreathed handrail and scroll tread ends.
(Illustrated on trade card of R. Pace and Son, Bodleian Library, MS. Eng. Hist.
c.298)


Listing NGR: SP2341903880

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.