This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.7679 / 53°46'4"N
Longitude: -1.848 / 1°50'52"W
OS Eastings: 410118
OS Northings: 430180
OS Grid: SE101301
Mapcode National: GBR HSJW.Q1
Mapcode Global: WHC9F.LK7B
Entry Name: 1st and 2nd World War Memorial at Junction with Granby Street
Listing Date: 7 March 1985
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1199535
English Heritage Legacy ID: 337418
Location: Bradford, BD13
Electoral Ward/Division: Queensbury
Built-Up Area: Bradford
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Queensbury Holy Trinity
Church of England Diocese: Leeds
SE13SW QUEENSBURY WEST END
5/44 1st and 2nd
World War Memorial
at junction with
1st World War Memorial unveiled 2nd September 1922, incorporating
two 2nd World War tablets unveiled 14th May 1950. Designed by
Allan Hainsworth of Queensbury and executed by W. Priestley andSons.
Sandstone ashlar. A tall octagonal Gothic structure, in Early English
style, on a wide 3-step octagonal podium. Moulded base, arched
traceried sides with foliated spandrels, framed by clustered colonnettes
with foliated capitals. Slender spire with panelled cap and cross
finial. Behind is a stepped hammer-dressed stone wall with 6 memorial
tablets to those who fell, 4 to the 1st World War and 2 to the 2nd.
The area is enclosed by iron gates and railings on an ashlar plinth.
F. Barrett, A History of Queensbury, 1963.
Listing NGR: SE1011830180
This List entry has been amended to add sources for War Memorials Online and the War Memorials Register. These sources were not used in the compilation of this List entry but are added here as a guide for further reading, 31 January 2017.
Other nearby listed buildings