History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Parsonage House and Attached Forecourt Walls, Gates and Gatepiers and Rear Wall with Outbuilding

A Grade II* Listed Building in Stanton Harcourt, Oxfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.7503 / 51°45'1"N

Longitude: -1.4013 / 1°24'4"W

OS Eastings: 441423

OS Northings: 205905

OS Grid: SP414059

Mapcode National: GBR 7XM.6JL

Mapcode Global: VHC09.N8JK

Entry Name: Parsonage House and Attached Forecourt Walls, Gates and Gatepiers and Rear Wall with Outbuilding

Listing Date: 12 September 1955

Last Amended: 17 October 1988

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1199558

English Heritage Legacy ID: 252390

Location: Stanton Harcourt, West Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire, OX29

County: Oxfordshire

District: West Oxfordshire

Civil Parish: Stanton Harcourt

Built-Up Area: Stanton Harcourt

Traditional County: Oxfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire

Church of England Parish: Stanton Harcourt

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in
Eynsham

Listing Text

STANTON HARCOURT
SP4105
21/306 Parsonage House and attached
12/09/55 forecourt walls, gates and
gatepiers and rear wall with
outbuilding
(Formerly listed as Parsonage
House and dovecote)

GV II*

House. Built c.1675 for Robert Huntingdon. Roughcast over limestone rubble,
rendered limestone ashlar quoins; hipped stone slate roof; 2 stone ridge stacks
with moulded drips and capping; large stone rear lateral stack. Double-depth
plan with rear left wing. 2 storeys and attic; symmetrical 7-window range.
Carolean style. Doorway has Tuscan pilasters and wood-bracketed pediment hood:
bolection-moulded double-leaf doors with leaded overlight. Flat rendered arches
over late C17 cross windows, with leaded-lights. Coved cornice; 2 hipped roof
dormers with leaded casements. Similar 5-bay side walls, with stone steps
leading to C20 door on right: similar cross windows and cellar door to rear
service wing. Rear service wing of one storey and attic and similar materials:
has similar cross windows, wood-mullioned windows with leaded-lights and
chamfered heavy wood frame to door. Interior: central hall, with staircase to
rear, has bolection-moulded panelling, fireplace and doors; and pictures of
Roman Emperors and pastoral and townscape scenes including view of Whitehall
probably by James de Witte. Fine dog-leg with landing staircase has twisted
balusters. Parlour to right has bolection panelling grained to imitate walnut:
bolection-moulded fireplace flanked by 2 tall narrow panels decorated with
flowers, probably by James de Witte. Selection-panelled rooms on ground floor,
mainly 1920's overmantel painting of the Siege of Paris, much restored in 1920s,
in room to rear right. First-floor rooms each have moulded cornice,
bolection-moulded fireplace, overmantel and doors; overmantel paintings of
Europa and the Bull (over hall) and classical landscape with ruins and shepherds
(to rear right), and oriental birds (to rear left), probably by James de Witte
and restored in 1920's. Service area to rear left of ground floor: dog-leg
service stairs with turned balusters; kitchen has large chamfered stone
fireplace with late C17 spit-rack and hanging carved spice-rack, and part of
late C17 cupboard range. Subsidiary features: limestone rubble forecourt walls,
enclose area approximately 25 x 15 metres; gatepiers with ball finials flank
decorative wrought-iron gates. Limestone rubble wall to rear right extends
approximately 10 metres to small gazebo or shed, of limestone rubble with
pyramidal stone slate roof. History: stands on medieval moated-site. Rear of
house is probably C16 in part. Robert Huntingdon leased the house from All Souls
college, Oxford: James de Witte, a Dutch painter and prisoner-of-war imprisoned
at Abingdon, probably painted the overmantels and pictures in the hall which are
of great interest.
(Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, pp.783-784; Christopher Hussey, "The
Parsonage at Stanton Harcourt, Country Life, 1940; National Monuments Record).


Listing NGR: SP4142305905

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.