History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Priory Approximately 10 Metres South of Marcham Priory (Not Included)

A Grade II* Listed Building in Marcham, Oxfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.6648 / 51°39'53"N

Longitude: -1.3411 / 1°20'27"W

OS Eastings: 445671

OS Northings: 196434

OS Grid: SU456964

Mapcode National: GBR 7YN.HS2

Mapcode Global: VHCY5.PFX2

Entry Name: The Priory Approximately 10 Metres South of Marcham Priory (Not Included)

Listing Date: 6 August 1952

Last Amended: 6 July 1987

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1199599

English Heritage Legacy ID: 249670

Location: Marcham, Vale of White Horse, Oxfordshire, OX13

County: Oxfordshire

District: Vale of White Horse

Civil Parish: Marcham

Built-Up Area: Marcham

Traditional County: Berkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire

Church of England Parish: Marcham with Garford

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in
Garford

Listing Text

MARCHAM PACKHORSE LANE
SU4596 (West side)
18/172 The Priory approx. 10m S of
06/08/52 Marcham Priory (not included)
(Formerly listed as Park House
Lane as The Priory in grounds
of No.34)

- II*

House. Mid C16. Roughly coursed limestone rubble, with alternate dressed stone
coursed on first floor and ashlar quoins and dressings. Gabled stone slate roof;
double-flued ashlar ridge stack with roll-moulded dripcourse. 3-unit plan with
through-passage, and also with lobby-entry to rear. 2 storeys; 3-window range.
Tudor style. Studded C16 door with strap hinges left of centre is set in
Tudor-arched convex-moulded architrave. 2-light ovolo-moulded stone-mullioned
windows to left: to right stone-mullioned and transomed ovolo-moulded
round-arched windows above similar mullioned 4-light windows with central king
mullions. All windows have leaded-lights and are set in cyma-moulded
architraves. Similar 2-light round-headed window in right gable wall; left gable
wall has ovolo-moulded attic light, and chamfered timber lintels over one
3-light and three 4-light chamfered wood-mullioned windows. Rear: narrow pointed
chamfered doorway to lobby entry, and C16 studded door set in pointed chamfered
oak doorway to through passage: 3- and 4-light moulded wood mullioned and
transomed windows with leaded lights to right; to left is similar but altered
4-light window with 3-light chamfered wood-mullioned window above. Interior:
through passage has stop-chamfered joists and is flanked by partitions:
partition to right has chamfered muntins and rail dividing panels, and 2 service
doorways with sunk spandrels: plainer partition to left is probably later.
Service room to right has stop-chamfered beam. Central room has stop-chamfered
beam and joists, and segmental tympanum arch over moulded stone fireplace with
sunk spandrels. Room to left (former living-room) has stop-chamfered bean and
joists: corbelled fireplace has tall stepped overmantle and chamfered flat arch.
Arched doorhead to newel stairs adjoining stack: room above (former parlour) has
corbelled ovolo-moulded fireplace, with keyed half-round overaantel of ashlar
flush with wall. Chamfered doorhead with sunk spandrels over doorway to large
first-floor room to left: flat-arched fireplace has urn-stopped chamfer. 6-bay
collar-truss roof, with side struts, but purlins and arched windbraces:
stop-chamfer,to tie bean in parlour. Attic floor removed. This building is
unusual for its combination of the through-passage with the newly-introduced
lobby-entrance, which was here used as a back door from the private living
quarters: Spokes and lope suggest a date of c.1570 which makes the use of the
early C16 style round-arched windows very old fashioned. The unusual plan of
this house suggests that it may have been used as a temporary residence,
possibly an audit house.
(P.S. Spokes and E.M. Jope, "The Priory, Marcham: a small 16th century house",
Berkshire Archaeological Journal, Vol.57 (1959), pp.86-97; Buildings of England:
Berkshire, p.177).


Listing NGR: SU4567196434

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.