This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.2253 / 52°13'31"N
Longitude: 1.1809 / 1°10'51"E
OS Eastings: 617347
OS Northings: 263335
OS Grid: TM173633
Mapcode National: GBR VM3.KCC
Mapcode Global: VHLB1.FB4F
Entry Name: The Red Lion
Listing Date: 9 December 1955
Last Amended: 24 June 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1199618
English Heritage Legacy ID: 281519
Location: Debenham, Mid Suffolk, Suffolk, IP14
District: Mid Suffolk
Civil Parish: Debenham
Built-Up Area: Debenham
Traditional County: Suffolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk
Church of England Parish: Debenham St Mary Magdalene
Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich
DEBENHAM HIGH STREET (west side)
TM 16 SE
6/95 No.8 (The Red Lion)
9.12.55 (formerly listed as Red
Originally brewhouse and anciliary range of the Gild of the Holy Trinity,
associated with the adjacent guildhall (qv. Item 6/96). Now a public house.
A complex building. Probably mid C15 south wing, extending to rear, part of
which contained the brewhouse; immediately to the north is the remains of a
C15 porch. Rest of front range is mid C16 rebuilding of earlier work, with
further C16 work to rear of south wing. Re-fronted mid C19. Timber framed,
the facade with brick casing, smooth-rendered to imitate ashlar. Plaintiled
roof to front range, the south wing pantiled. 2 storeys. Corner block was
jettied: there is the upper part of a fine corner post with traceried carving.
An adjacent section of jetty faces south, under which is an embattled mid
rail. 4-bay front: inset sash windows with glazing bars. Blank panel over
main doorway. Mid C20 semi-glazed doors. Projecting wrought iron bracket for
a sign, probably C19. Gable stack to right, internal stack in front section
of south wing. One-bay return to south with similar sash windows. Interior.
Brewhouse comprised 3 bays of south wing immediately behind the front bay, and
was unfloored. Intact studding on upper floor shows evidence for a long range
of north-facing windows with vertically-sliding shutters. Plain crown-post
roof, substantially intact, originally hipped at the rear gable end. C17
inserted upper floor. Porch originally of 2 bays; the missing bay projected
into the street. Upper portion of rear bay is visible, together with a
fragment of the king-post roof. South side of porch has solid arched braces
and was open to the adjoining room in the front of the south wing. C16 work
to north has chamfered-joist ceiling to ground floor. Narrow end bay contains
inserted stack: the ground floor fireplace has a good lintol with moulding and
rope-pattern carving; mutilated embattled lintol to upper fireplace. Over the
front range is a much altered plain crown-post roof. An upper room in the
front range has a fine ceiling of very late C16: interlaced moulded ribs with
pendants; Fleur-de-lys, Tudor rose and leaf motifs. 2 sides have a frieze of
vine foliage, and across the centre is a moulded beam with the initials of
George and Elizabeth Harrison. This ceiling is now in several rooms.
Bloodhall Manor rentals of 1463 mention a bakehouse and 'le Gyeylynghows'
(brewhouse) of the Gild. For structural drawings see Mr T. Easton, Bedfield
Listing NGR: TM1734763335
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings