History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Vicarage

A Grade II Listed Building in Langford, Oxfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.7223 / 51°43'20"N

Longitude: -1.6405 / 1°38'25"W

OS Eastings: 424929

OS Northings: 202683

OS Grid: SP249026

Mapcode National: GBR 5TV.S3P

Mapcode Global: VHC05.JZ31

Entry Name: Vicarage

Listing Date: 12 September 1955

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1199625

English Heritage Legacy ID: 253874

Location: Langford, West Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire, GL7

County: Oxfordshire

District: West Oxfordshire

Civil Parish: Langford

Built-Up Area: Langford (West Oxfordshire) BU

Traditional County: Oxfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire

Church of England Parish: Langford

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in
Broadwell

Listing Text

LANGFORD STATION ROAD
SP2402-2502 (East side)
6/113 Vicarage
12.9.55
GV II

Vicarage. Early C17, extended 1652 (datestone) with C19 additions and
alterations. Uncoursed limestone rubble with alternating angle quoins to C17
parts and roughly coursed and dressed rubble to C19 additions, stone slate
roofs. Original 3-bay house given projecting gabled bay (housing staircase) to
centre and extended to left in 1652; slightly lower addition to right in C19. 2
storeys and attics. 1:1:1:1 bays, third bay from left forming prominent gabled
projection. Chamfered mullioned windows with dripmoulds throughout including to
gabled half-dormer in mid-C17 addition to left. Remainder are 3-light except for
5-light window to ground floor of second bay from left, 2-light window to upper
part of gabled projection and single-light openings to gabled full dormers in
second bay from left and right bay. C19 mullioned and transomed window in canted
bay projection to ground floor of left bay bas C19 boarded door immediately to
right. Datestone "B/WE/1652" between windows in gabled projection. C19 addition
to right, continued as short gabled range to rear, has 3-light nullioned window
on each floor. Integral end stacks to left and right of C17 part, former with
paired and rebated shafts and latter with 3 attached and rebated shafts, both
with dripstones and C19 projecting moulded capping. Similar ridge stack
(formerly an end stack) to left of left gabled full dormer has paired and
rebated shafts and external end stack to C19 addition has single shaft.
Grotesque heads applied to front and rear of building are probably C15 and may
originally have been gargoyles. Interior. Not inspected at time of resurvey (May
1987) but noted as having Tudor-arched stone fireplace to left ground-floor room
of original house. Chamfered ceiling beams. Framed newel staircase in gabled
projection has carved finials and pendants to newels but original balusters
replaced by stick balusters.
(Buildings of England: Oxfordshire: p681)
[2420]


Listing NGR: SP2492902683

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.