History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Thomas

A Grade II Listed Building in Melling, Sefton

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.4955 / 53°29'43"N

Longitude: -2.9227 / 2°55'21"W

OS Eastings: 338884

OS Northings: 400259

OS Grid: SD388002

Mapcode National: GBR 8X10.1P

Mapcode Global: WH86W.2DHN

Entry Name: Church of St Thomas

Listing Date: 11 October 1968

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1199645

English Heritage Legacy ID: 216512

Location: Melling, Sefton, L31

County: Sefton

Civil Parish: Melling

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Merseyside

Church of England Parish: Melling St Thomas

Church of England Diocese: Liverpool

Find accommodation in
Kirkby

Listing Text

MELLING ROCK LANE
SD 30 SE
(north side)
7/113 Church of
St. Thomas
11.10.68
G.V. II
Church. 1835 with chancel of 1873. By J. W. Casson. Stone
with stone slate roof, east end has concrete tile roofs. 5-
bay nave, west tower, chancel and north organ loft and south
vestry under lean-to roofs. Nave has cornice and coped
gables, diagonal buttresses with pinnacles, and lancets with
splayed reveals and hood moulds between weathered
buttresses. Gabled porch to end bay of south side. Tower
has diagonal buttresses. Giant arch to west side frames 3
lancets (2 blind) wih 3-light window above; north side
similar; south side has entrance with shouldered lintel.
Bell stage has paired louvred bell openings, cornice and
embattled parapet. Chancel has east window of 3 stepped
lancets; diagonal buttresses and paired lights to organ loft
and vestry. Stack to south east angle of nave. Interior:
Roof has tie beam trusses. Deep west gallery on iron
columns with moulded capitals. East wall of nave has
chancel arch on round piers, flanking segmental pointed
recesses, that to left with organ pipes, with rosettes
above. Similar south entrance. Chancel has pointed arch to
organ lofts and south blind arches. Window has stained
glass by Holiday dated 1907. Nave has good wall memorials,
especially R. Bootle (died 1758 and Sir T. Bootle (died
1753). To rear of nave, pointed commandment, prayer and
creed boards, also board commemorating rebuilding of church
(1834) and charity board flanking entrance to south
entrance. Hanoverian arms in gallery. Open-well stair in
tower.


Listing NGR: SD3888400259

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.