History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Old Bakehouse

A Grade II Listed Building in Filkins and Broughton Poggs, Oxfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.7354 / 51°44'7"N

Longitude: -1.6582 / 1°39'29"W

OS Eastings: 423702

OS Northings: 204136

OS Grid: SP237041

Mapcode National: GBR 5TT.1MH

Mapcode Global: VHC05.6MRZ

Entry Name: The Old Bakehouse

Listing Date: 12 September 1955

Last Amended: 4 May 1989

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1199687

English Heritage Legacy ID: 253505

Location: Filkins and Broughton Poggs, West Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire, GL7

County: Oxfordshire

District: West Oxfordshire

Civil Parish: Filkins and Broughton Poggs

Built-Up Area: Filkins

Traditional County: Oxfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire

Church of England Parish: Broughton Poggs with Filkins

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in
Broadwell

Listing Text

SP2204-2304 FILKINS AND BROUGHTON POGGS VILLAGE STREET
(South-east side)
Filkins
7/207 The Old Bakehouse
12/09/55 (Formerly listed as Bake
House)

GV II
House. Dated TTA 1626 on tablet in central gable; altered and refenestrated late
C18-early C19; part refurbished C20. Coursed rubble limestone with dressed
quoins and stone slate roofs. Rendered and brick ridge chimneys on stone bases
with moulded strings, the left shaft with moulded capital. 2 storeys, 3 bays,
each bay of different build. Gabled centre bay has boxed 3-pane sashes with
wooden lintels and dressed stone jambs. Similar sashes to left bay, the ground
floor with 2 windows. Right bay has 3-light wooden casements with similar jambs,
the lower window with restored shaped stone lintel, the upper with wooden
lintel. To left of this bay is a flush-panelled door to through passage. Door
has fanlight, moulded stone surround with Tudor hoodmould, and high stone slab
hood on wooden brackets. Single-storey C20 extension at left end of house. Rear
has gabled stair turret to centre bay, and lean-to extensions to outer bays.
Interior has large fireplace with 4-centred stone arch in centre bay, and C18
dog-leg stair with turned balusters.


Listing NGR: SP2370204136

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.