History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of Saint Mary and Saint Ethelbert

A Grade I Listed Building in Luckington, Wiltshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.5551 / 51°33'18"N

Longitude: -2.236 / 2°14'9"W

OS Eastings: 383732

OS Northings: 184048

OS Grid: ST837840

Mapcode National: GBR 1PV.KGM

Mapcode Global: VH95X.658Q

Entry Name: Church of Saint Mary and Saint Ethelbert

Listing Date: 28 October 1959

Grade: I

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1199767

English Heritage Legacy ID: 316030

Location: Luckington, Wiltshire, SN14

County: Wiltshire

Civil Parish: Luckington

Traditional County: Wiltshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire

Church of England Parish: Luckington

Church of England Diocese: Bristol

Find accommodation in
Luckington

Listing Text

LUCKINGTON CHURCH ROAD
ST 88 SW (north side)

2/217 Church of Saint Mary and
Saint Ethelbert

28.10.59

GV 1


Anglican parish church, c1200 to C15, restored and chancel rebuilt
1892 by A.W. Blomfield, rubble stone with stone slate roofs and
coped gables. Nave, south aisle, north and south porches, north
tower, chancel with north vestry and south east chapel. Nave and
aisle have C15 fenestration, nave has tall 3-light pointed west
window and north side flat-headed 3-light and 2-light with
hoodmoulds each side of moulded pointed C14 north door in plain C18
gabled porch. South aisle has 4-centred 3-light west window, 2-
light and 3-light flat-headed windows with hoodmoulds flanking
ashlar gabled porch with moulded pointed arch. Pointed arched
inner doorway with C19 door. South east chapel is 1872
reconstruction of C13 original with two pairs of lancets to south
side, buttresses, rectangular window to right with hoodmoulds, and
east end 3-light stepped lancets. Chancel of 1872 is ashlar with
one south lancet, 3-light east window, one north lancet and added
1917 flat-roofed vestry. Four-stage north tower, C13 with bottom
stage north paired lancets, second stage small lancet loops to
north and east and third stage blocked 2-light bell-openings, with
plate-traceried quatrefoil heads, raised angle piers and corbel
table. Top bell-stage is C15 with 2-light Perpendicular openings
and hoodmoulds linked by dripcourse. Battlements and truncated
angle pinnacles.
Interior: much restored 3-bay arcade of c1200 with circular piers,
bases with spurs and trumpet-scallop caps with circular abaci.
Two-chamfer arches. C15 arch-braced collar rafter roofs to nave
and aisle. Painted texts of 1663 on north and south walls. Nave
has two low niches in north east angle, perhaps a former reredos,
behind C17 or C18 panelled stone pulpit. Corbel head in north east
angle, rood-stair in south east angle. Half-column piers to 2-
chamfer chancel arch. Chancel, dated 1872, has marble shafted
lancets, two to north, one to south and much restored C13 two bay
arcade to south east chapel with Purbeck marble shafted piers,
quatrefoil bases and caps. North side pointed arch on column piers
to tower. 1872 sanctuary decoration, brass rails, encaustic tiles,
mosaic reredos. South east chapel, apparently all restored has
fine Purbeck marble shafted windows with stiff-leaf caps to east
window shafts. Roof dated 1872. Two-chamfer west arch on column
piers, similar to tower and chancel arches. Fittings and
monuments: chancel stained glass and on south east chapel window of
c1910 by W.E. Tower. In aisle and south east chapel three coloured
marble late C18 plaques to Fitzherbert family, one of c1779 signed
T. Paty and Sons. South east chanel has framed plaque to H.
Fitzherbert died 1720. Nave has plank north door. Large stone
bowl font and west wall coloured marble monument to J. Harford died
1769.
(N. Pevsner, Wiltshire, 1975 313-4).


Listing NGR: ST8373084044

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.