History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Ludwell Farmhouse and Attached Barn

A Grade II Listed Building in Wootton, Oxfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.8978 / 51°53'52"N

Longitude: -1.3712 / 1°22'16"W

OS Eastings: 443361

OS Northings: 222327

OS Grid: SP433223

Mapcode National: GBR 7VQ.VJM

Mapcode Global: VHCX0.5KYH

Entry Name: Ludwell Farmhouse and Attached Barn

Listing Date: 27 August 1957

Last Amended: 29 June 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1199774

English Heritage Legacy ID: 252970

Location: Wootton, West Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire, OX20

County: Oxfordshire

District: West Oxfordshire

Civil Parish: Wootton

Traditional County: Oxfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire

Church of England Parish: Wootton, Glympton and Kiddington

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in
Ledwell

Listing Text

WOOTTON LUDWELL
SP42SW
3/315 Ludwell Farmhouse and attached
27/08/57 barn
(Formerly listed as Ludwell
Farmhouse and Barn attached)
- II
Farmhouse, now house. Late C16; extended 1876. Coursed limestone rubble; gabled
stone slate roof; brick end stacks. 2-unit plan. 2 storeys and attic; 4-window
range. Timber lintel over mid C19 six-panelled (4 glazed) door with bracketed
flat hood. Flat stone arch over C19 one-light windows in outer bays of ground
floor; 2-light casements above these are set C16 hollow-moulded stone architrave
to left and similar mid C19 architrave to right. Other windows are late C16
two-light hollow-moulded stone-mullioned and pointed arched windows. Mid C19
gabled roof dormer with pointed-arched 2-light casement. Similar late C16
two-light window and hollow-moulded pointed-arched doorway to rear. C18
two-storey rear wing. 1876 extension of left: of similar materials with brick
dressings; of 2 storeys, 4-centred arched doorway. Interior: room to left has
plank shutters with strap hinges, probably C17, quartered moulded beams,
stop-chamfered joists and moulded segmental-arched fireplace. C18 moulded
cornice and beam in room to right. First-floor room to right has late C16/early
C17 panelling. Rooms divided transversely by late C16 close-studded timber
partition. Late C16 roof, with clasped purlins, has queen-strut truss to right
and 2 collar trusses with pointed-arched windbraces to left bay. Subsidiary
features: barn to right of similar materials.
(Information from VCH; VCH: Oxfordshire, Vol IX, p267; Bodleian Library MS Top
Oxon C.502/2 far 1961 photo; National Monuments Record)


Listing NGR: SP4336122327

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.