History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Pillar House, Pillar House East, and Attached Stone Piers

A Grade II Listed Building in Harwell, Oxfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.5998 / 51°35'59"N

Longitude: -1.2911 / 1°17'28"W

OS Eastings: 449193

OS Northings: 189232

OS Grid: SU491892

Mapcode National: GBR 7ZH.QCC

Mapcode Global: VHCYL.K1SX

Entry Name: Pillar House, Pillar House East, and Attached Stone Piers

Listing Date: 24 November 1966

Last Amended: 5 May 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1199813

English Heritage Legacy ID: 249973

Location: Harwell, Vale of White Horse, Oxfordshire, OX11

County: Oxfordshire

District: Vale of White Horse

Civil Parish: Harwell

Built-Up Area: Harwell

Traditional County: Berkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire

Find accommodation in
Steventon

Listing Text

HARWELL HIGH STREET
SU4989 (East side)
9/110 Pillar House, Pillar House
East, and attached stone piers
(Formerly listed as Pillar
House)

GV II

House, now 2 dwellings. Probably mid C19. Rendered plinth; painted brick, with
painted stone quoins; slate hipped roof; brick end stack to right, ridge stack
to left return. ltalianate style. 2-storey, 3-window range 2-panel door to
centre with decorative fanlight and architrave surround. Square flat-roofed
porch with fluted Doric columns in front and plain Doric pilasters flanking
doorway. Porch has triglyph cornice. 12-pane unhorned sashes with painted stone
architrave surrounds to all openings. Moulded stone band between ground and
first floors. Bracketed cornice to eaves. Interiors not inspected. Attached
painted stone piers to each end of street front form front court-yard. History:
formerly trio home of artists John Henry Frederick Bacon (1865-1914) and L.
Leslie Brooke (1862-1940)
("Harwell, Village for a Thousand Years": Pub. Harwell P.C. 1985)


Listing NGR: SU4919389232

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.