History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Wadley House

A Grade II Listed Building in Littleworth, Oxfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.6623 / 51°39'44"N

Longitude: -1.5514 / 1°33'5"W

OS Eastings: 431123

OS Northings: 196036

OS Grid: SU311960

Mapcode National: GBR 5VQ.QLF

Mapcode Global: VHC0M.2H52

Entry Name: Wadley House

Listing Date: 10 November 1952

Last Amended: 10 July 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1199959

English Heritage Legacy ID: 249494

Location: Littleworth, Vale of White Horse, Oxfordshire, SN7

County: Oxfordshire

District: Vale of White Horse

Civil Parish: Littleworth

Traditional County: Berkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire

Church of England Parish: Gainfield

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in
Faringdon

Listing Text

LITTLEWORTH WADLEY
SU 3196

2/10 Wadley House
(formerly listed
as Wadley Manor)
10.11.52

- II

1768 Palladian stone house with C16 and C17 rear. Stone tiled roofs. South
front built 1768 for Charles Pye, 2-storey with parapet, hipped valley roof
and corniced ashlar stacks. Severe 7-window front, coursed rubble with flush
ashlar quoins and window surrounds. Moulded stone cornice and simple architrave
to centre first floor window with sill panel below. Fine central pedimented
Roman Doric doorcase, half-columns and triglyphs in frieze. Round arched
doorway with moulded arch and pilaster reveals. 4-window end elevations and
rear hipped roof staircase block with cavetto eaves cornice. Modern rear
porch. Interior: remodelled c.1910 in neo-Georgian style. Rear range: C16 to
C17, T-plan with steep pitched roofs. Renewed brick stacks, 2 at eaves of
west side, one on ridge and west wall stack on north cross range. 3-window
range to west side, triple mullioned windows with arched heads to ground
floor, central 3-light mullioned window above and flanking 2-light windows
with hoodmoulds and dogshead label stops to north side hoodmould. Door in
south face of cross wing altered to 2-light mullioned window. Crosswing north
face partly rebuilt in brick with leaded light casements. 3-light stone
mullioned window in east end with arched heads and hoodmould. Small rubble
stone rear building with square ventilating turret on hipped roof with 2-light
mullioned windows in north and east sides. Wadley was the seat of the Unton
family in the C16 and was visited by Queen Elizabeth in 1574 and James I in
1603. VCH Berks.


Listing NGR: SU3112396036

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.