This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.8154 / 51°48'55"N
Longitude: -1.6266 / 1°37'35"W
OS Eastings: 425837
OS Northings: 213034
OS Grid: SP258130
Mapcode National: GBR 5SW.3LC
Mapcode Global: VHBZS.RMGQ
Entry Name: Church of Saint James the Great
Listing Date: 12 September 1955
Last Amended: 21 August 1989
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1199969
English Heritage Legacy ID: 253599
Location: Fulbrook, West Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire, OX18
District: West Oxfordshire
Civil Parish: Fulbrook
Traditional County: Oxfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
Church of England Parish: Fulbrook
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
FULBROOK CHURCH LANE
SP2513 (East side)
11/42 Church of Saint James the
(Formerly listed as Church of
Church. C12; north aisle c.1200; C13 chancel remodelled, north transept and
south porch; restored 1892 when the nave probably re-roofed. Uncoursed stone
rubble; stone slate roof to chancel and to north aisle; roofs of nave and tower
not visible. 3-bay chancel, 4-bay nave and north aisle, 2-bay north transept and
west tower. South side: C19 plank double door to Romanesque round-arched doorway
with roll-moulding and billet hood. C13 stone open porch of 3 hallow-chamfered
orders on jamb shafts with bell capitals, the outer arch has quatrefoil-section
responds, bell capitals and a hollow-chamfered arch. Nave has irregular
fenestration of 2-light stone mullion windows with hood moulds, except for
2-light Plate-tracery window to right. 2-light stone mullion windows to left and
right of chancel. East end: triple lancet with hood mould. North side: lancet to
right of chancel. 3-light stone mullion window to left return of north transept.
2-light Reticulated-tracery window to north end of transept. 2-light
Reticulated-tracery window to north end of transept. 2-light stone mullion
window with Perpendicular lights to left of north aisle. Blocked round-arched
doorway to centre. 2-light Rectilinear-tracery windows to right and to right of
centre. Single lancet to west end of aisle, and to base of tower. 2-light
Reticulated-tracery louvred opening to each side of bell chamber of tower.
Interior: 3-bay arch-braced collar truss roof to chancel with moulded mid-purlin
and principal braces. C17 and C18 memorials to left of chancel. C17 wood altar
rail of baluster balustrade. Romanesque round chancel arch with roll-mouldings
and shafts with bell capitals. 7-bay Perpendicular-style roof to nave with
carved bosses. C18 hexagonal wood pulpit on stone base. Arcade to north aisle
and transept of 4 two-centred arches on round piers with trumpet-scalloped
capitals. 2-bay Perpendicular-style roof to north transpet. Probably C14 lean-to
roof to north aisle, having moulded principal rafters. Romanesque round stone
font on spreading base to north aisle. 4-centre arch from nave to tower.
(Buildings of England: Oxfordshire: 1979, p609-610)
Listing NGR: SP2583713034
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings