History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Mary the Virgin

A Grade II Listed Building in Bradenstoke, Wiltshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.5133 / 51°30'48"N

Longitude: -2.0007 / 2°0'2"W

OS Eastings: 400044

OS Northings: 179379

OS Grid: SU000793

Mapcode National: GBR 2S2.4YZ

Mapcode Global: VHB3P.87N6

Entry Name: Church of St Mary the Virgin

Listing Date: 15 August 1985

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1199972

English Heritage Legacy ID: 316739

Location: Lyneham and Bradenstoke, Wiltshire, SN15

County: Wiltshire

Civil Parish: Lyneham and Bradenstoke

Built-Up Area: Bradenstoke

Traditional County: Wiltshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire

Church of England Parish: Lyneham with Bradenstoke St Michael

Church of England Diocese: Salisbury

Find accommodation in
Lyneham

Listing Text

SU 07 NW LYNEHAM BRADENSTOKE
(south side)

8/52 Church of
St Mary The Virgin


GV II

Anglican parish church, 1866, by C. F. Hansom. Coursed limestone,
tiled roofs. Tall three-and-a-half bay nave, south aisle, 2-bay
chancel with organ chamber, north porch, and western bellcote.
Walls with mid wall string and plinth table, 2 light Decorated
style windows with carved head terminals to hood moulds. Steep
pitched roofs. North door has deeply cut fleurons in large
casement moulding.
Interior: Arcade to aisle has short marble columns on raised
plinths. Open raftered arch braced collar roof carried on stone
corbels and wall shafts. Vestry partitioned off in western half
bay. Original stone pulpit. Font, small hexagonal and deeply
carved said to have been exhibited at the Great National
Exhibition, 1851 or 1862. Evangelist symbols; bowl on clustered
marble columns. Contemporary pews and chancel fittings. C17
plain parish chest with iron bound corners. Arms over porch.


Listing NGR: SU0004479379

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.