This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.5396 / 51°32'22"N
Longitude: -2.0306 / 2°1'50"W
OS Eastings: 397973
OS Northings: 182305
OS Grid: ST979823
Mapcode National: GBR 2RN.HFB
Mapcode Global: VHB3G.RKCK
Entry Name: Roboan House
Listing Date: 25 November 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1199997
English Heritage Legacy ID: 316316
Location: Dauntsey, Wiltshire, SN15
Civil Parish: Dauntsey
Traditional County: Wiltshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
Church of England Parish: Dauntsey
Church of England Diocese: Bristol
DAUNTSEY CHURCH LANE
ST 98 SE
3/190 Roboan House
Former rectory, 1829 by Thomas Strong of Box, extended in matching
style 1869. Ashlar north and west fronts, red brick rear, slate
roofs with coped gables and ashlar Tudor-style stacks. Two
storeys, Tudor-style with Tudor-arched mullion windows above and
mullion-and-transom windows below, dripcourses with pendant
hoodmoulds and lively carved head stops, parapets and gable
finials. North front has gable each side, that to left added 1869.
Original front is L-plan, the main range two-window with east stack
and two 2-light mullion windows with Tudor-arched heads above, one
3-light mullion-and-transom window to left below and Tudor-arched
door set in projecting embattled porch in angle to gable. Porch
has angle buttresses, finials, battlements, Tudor-arched doorway
with carved spandrels and panelling over with carved phoenix crest.
Gable to right has raked parapet, apex quatrefoil with bull's-head
crest, first floor Tudor-arched niche and projected ground floor
with parapet and 2-light mullion-and-transom window. To left of
two-window main range is slightly recessed one-window similar
section with east stack, 2-light window each floor. 1869 matching
gable to left has quatrefoil with arrow crest, first floor Tudor-
arched niche and ground floor 2-light window. Plain 3-window
embattled east side. West front has embattled parapet, advanced
gable to right and 4-shaft axial ridge stack. Left section has a
2-light above and advanced embattled ground floor with 3-light
between Tudor-arched blank panels. 1829 date in parapet. Gable
has first floor 2-light and hoodmould and ground floor 2-light with
dripcourse and pendant hoodmould. Red brick rear has ashlar
dressings, embattled parapet, flush quoins, dripcourse and various
mullion windows. Interior is said to contain much reused C16 and
C17 woodwork in panelling, doors and stair newel and also encaustic
tiles from Bradenstoke Priory. Rectory was built for Rev G.A.
Biedermann and extended for Rev W.E. Elwell.
(Wiltshire Record Office D/11/61 has specification and ground plan
by Thomas Strong; Wiltshire at the opening of XX century 1906 37)
Listing NGR: ST9797382302
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings