This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.0152 / 52°0'54"N
Longitude: -1.315 / 1°18'54"W
OS Eastings: 447106
OS Northings: 235416
OS Grid: SP471354
Mapcode National: GBR 7TF.QB3
Mapcode Global: VHCWG.5M50
Entry Name: The Grange
Listing Date: 8 December 1955
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1200006
English Heritage Legacy ID: 243771
Location: Adderbury, Cherwell, Oxfordshire, OX17
Civil Parish: Adderbury
Built-Up Area: Adderbury
Traditional County: Oxfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
Church of England Parish: Adderbury
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
SP4735 ADDERBURY HIGH STREET
7/49 The Grange
Rectorial manor house. Rebuilt 1684 by John Bloxham, contractor, for Sir Thomas
Cobb; extended to rear 1829; part rebuilt c.1885; extended to rear early C20.
Coursed squared marlstone with ashlar dressings; Stonesfield-slate roof with
ashlar stacks. H-plan with added rear wings. 2 storeys plus attic. Symmetrical
7-window front, with a deep chamfered plinth, has a recessed 3-window central
section with 2-light mullioned-and-transomed windows with labels, and has a
central doorway with a richly-moulded surround below a pulvinated frieze and
cornice. The contemporary wing to left has pairs of similar windows plus a
2-light stone-mullioned window in the gable. Right wing was rebuilt late C19
after a fire and is identical except for having limestone dressings. Roof of
central section has 3 hipped roof dormers and all gables have parapets. Left
return wall has a symmetrical 3-window arrangement with similar windows (some
now blocked) and 2 tall gables bearing paired ashlar stacks. Rear gable wall has
further mullioned windows. Early-C19 kitchen wing to rear has wooden casements,
but C20 bathroom wing adjacent to it has mullioned windows. Interior: wide
dogleg stair rising to attics with heavy turned balusters; oak-panelled room
with mid-C17 panelling, (probably re-used from the former house), below a frieze
and dentil cornice; butt-purlin roof incorporating one moulded medieval curved
principal. The medieval rectory became the New College manor house in 1381, part
of which survived as the north wing until c.1884 when it was destroyed by fire
and rebuilt to match the south wing. The contract and plans of 1682 survive.
(Buildings of England: Oxfordshire: p416; VCH: Oxfordshire: Vol IX, pp10-11)
Listing NGR: SP4710135416
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings