This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.9895 / 51°59'22"N
Longitude: 0.8915 / 0°53'29"E
OS Eastings: 598628
OS Northings: 236281
OS Grid: TL986362
Mapcode National: GBR SLZ.B5Q
Mapcode Global: VHKFL.D8M7
Entry Name: Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 23 March 1961
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1200030
English Heritage Legacy ID: 278559
Location: Stoke-by-Nayland, Babergh, Suffolk, CO6
Civil Parish: Stoke-by-Nayland
Built-Up Area: Stoke-by-Nayland
Traditional County: Suffolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk
Church of England Parish: Stoke by Nyland
Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich
Church of St Mary
TL 9836 24/817 23.3.61.
A fine C15 church built of freestone rubble and brick, with stone dressings.
The nave and aisles have castellated parapets and Perpendicular windows.
It incorporates the remains of an earlier church built in the late C13
or early C14 of which the south porch, St Edmunds Chapel and part of the
aisle wall are part. The late Norman piscina in the north chapel is the
only surviving part of the original Norman church which stood on the site
and was recorded in the Doomsday survey of 1085. The imposing west tower
which is 120 ft high forms a prominent landmark in the surrounding countryside.
It is in 4 stages with an embattled parapet with crocketted pinnacles
and diagonal buttresses with canopied niches. The south porch is late
C13-early C14, with a groin vaulted roof with interesting carved bosses
(restored). Above there is a small priests chamber. The South door is
of the same date, elaborately carved with figures, birds and insects,
said to be a Jesse tree. The nave has 6 tall arches and a stringcourse
carved with cherubs (restored 1865) under the clerestory windows. The
arch braced tie beams of the roof rest on carved corbels. At the west
end there is a tall lancet arch opening into the tower and revealing the
west window. St Edmunds Chapel was built circa 1318 by John de Peyton.
There is a fine C15 octagonal font carved with the signs of the Evangelists,
a band of cherubs and ogee niches in the shaft. The font stands on a
stepped base with 4 standing platforms carved with shields, one of King
Edward IV. The church has a number of brasses of the C15 and a standing
wall monument to Sir Francis Mannock of Giffords Hall (d 1634). Graded
for its architectural, historical and topographical value.
Listing NGR: TL9862836281
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings