This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.2541 / 52°15'14"N
Longitude: 1.207 / 1°12'25"E
OS Eastings: 618987
OS Northings: 266616
OS Grid: TM189666
Mapcode National: GBR VLS.L0D
Mapcode Global: VHL9V.VLYV
Entry Name: The Laurels
Listing Date: 29 July 1955
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1200031
English Heritage Legacy ID: 281561
Location: Kenton, Mid Suffolk, Suffolk, IP14
District: Mid Suffolk
Civil Parish: Kenton
Traditional County: Suffolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk
Church of England Parish: Kenton All Saints
Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich
KENTON EYE ROAD
TM 16 NE
1/137 The Laurels
Farmhouse. In 2 parts: a C16 2-cell main range with a C16 or early C17
service range, perhaps once a unit house, at right angles to the right,
originally detached. The 2 are now linked by a later one-storey addition.
Main range. Timber framed with exposed close studding and reverse-curved
braces; the rear is plastered. Roof clad in polythene sheeting pending
replacement of the tiles; the front slope was plaintiled. 2 storeys. 3
windows, C19 sashes with glazing bars, 16-paned to ground floor, 12-paned to
upper floor. To lower right a blocked original window with chamfered
mullions. Lobby entry: C19 brick porch, plastered and lined to imitate
ashlar; scalloped bargeboards with spike finial; 5-panel door, the upper panel
glazed. Stack has plain oblong shaft, rebuilt 1953 as dated on base; the
other date, 1829, may be when the tiled roof replaced thatch. The one-storey
link to the right is plastered and plaintiled. Interior not examined.
Service range. Timber framed and plastered, pantiled roof. 2 storeys. East
gable end (facing road) has long slatted ground floor window, the central
section with original diamond mullions. In the apex of the gable is a
pargetted spray of foliage. Side wall to north has further slatted windows
and various old casements, one diamond-leaded. Boarded doors to ground and
first floors. Stack at west gable end, the shaft mostly rebuilt in C19.
Interior not examined, the upper floor said to be entirely unmodernised.
Listing NGR: TM1898766616
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings