This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.0796 / 51°4'46"N
Longitude: -1.8562 / 1°51'22"W
OS Eastings: 410172
OS Northings: 131154
OS Grid: SU101311
Mapcode National: GBR 3ZT.CJQ
Mapcode Global: FRA 7608.DP7
Entry Name: Park School House
Listing Date: 4 August 1951
Last Amended: 8 June 1978
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1200089
English Heritage Legacy ID: 319371
Location: Wilton, Wiltshire, SP2
Civil Parish: Wilton
Traditional County: Wiltshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
Church of England Parish: Wilton St Mary and St Nicholas
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
5409 WILTON PARK
Park School House
(formerly listed as
Pavilion to north-east
of Wilton House)
SU 13 SW 1/1J 4.8.51.
Probably early C19, when Wyatt re-erected the centrepiece of Isaac de Caux's
circa 1635 grotto here.
Ashlar. Low single storey building tacked on to south of grotto front. Originally
a 3 bay pavilion - the right hand part - with a later 2 bay extension.
Projecting plinth, pulvinated frieze and blocking course. Pedimented central
break flanked by engaged Ionic columns and flanking side breaks for Ionic columns.
Central blind arch with columns supporting bust of 'Libertas'. Flanking doorways
with architrave surrounds - now glazing bar sash windows. Replica bays to left
and south return partly cement faced. The centrepiece of the right hand
part may well also come from Isaac de Caux's grotto which had similar outer
pavilions. The similarity in handling with the loggietta suggests this.
The principal interest centres on the north front, circa 1637-39, the extra-
ordinary carved work was attributed by Colen Campbell to Nicholas Stone
Junior. Pediment over 3 bay centre, lower flanking wings set back and joined
to centre by large scrolls above blocking course. Single storey ashlar
built. Pedimented centre quoined with outer pilasters and inner engaged
columns with composite capitals. Capitals capped by half length nude supporting
corona. Central pedimented doorway and later flanking sashes. Bull's-eye
windows to wings which have pulvinated friezes. The centre is richly carved,
mainly in horizontal strips full of grotesque faces and rich vegetation.
The carving is deeply undercut and has survived extremely well.
Interior: the room with grotto front has coved and vaulted painted ceiling
(birds etc) dated 1948 and signed Sander. The interior generally has doorcases,
fireplaces etc of high quality which might be replica. To north-east in
garden is a modern Tuscan temple housing C16 (possibly) marble reliefs.
Pergola to north with on a stand a bust of Georgina Herbert with inscription:-
"Established and 1st taught in this school March 25th 1838. Her works
do follow her".
Listing NGR: SU1017231154
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings