History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Manor Farmhouse

A Grade II Listed Building in Arncott, Oxfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.8593 / 51°51'33"N

Longitude: -1.1169 / 1°7'0"W

OS Eastings: 460910

OS Northings: 218227

OS Grid: SP609182

Mapcode National: GBR 9Z9.DF5

Mapcode Global: VHCXB.LJCH

Entry Name: Manor Farmhouse

Listing Date: 9 December 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1200148

English Heritage Legacy ID: 243403

Location: Arncott, Cherwell, Oxfordshire, OX25

County: Oxfordshire

District: Cherwell

Civil Parish: Arncott

Traditional County: Oxfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire

Church of England Parish: Ambrosden

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in
Ambrosden

Listing Text

SP61NW ARNCOTT PLOUGHLEY ROAD
(West side)
Lower Arncott

11/18 Manor Farmhouse

- II


Farmhouse, probably originally the manor house. 1679 on datestone, remodelled
probably early C19. Coursed squared limestone rubble with some wooden lintels;
plain-tile roof, partly old, with rubble and brick stacks. L-plan. 2 storeys and
one storey plus attic. Remodelled 3-window front has a central 4-panel door
below a 9-pane casement, and has 18-pane horizontal-sliding sashes to both
floors in the outer bays. All openings have wide render architraves, and the
central first-floor window is flanked by re-set stones inscribed "1679" and
"S/HE". Gable stack to right. Left end returns to the lower long rear wing which
contains a further entrance, casements with stop-chamfered lintels, and has
2-light gabled dormers plus, in the end bay, a half-dormer loft door over a
garage door. A gabled stair projection, with a small casement, lies to rear of
the main range in the angle with the rear wing. A C17 double stack on a rubble
base with diagonal brick shafts rises from the lower ridge at the junction of
ranges; lower wing also has a large ridge stack containing much old narrow
brick. Interior not inspected.
(V.C.H.: Oxfordshire, Vol.V, p.16).


Listing NGR: SP6091018227

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.