History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Callaly Cotttage

A Grade II Listed Building in Adderbury, Oxfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.0136 / 52°0'48"N

Longitude: -1.3212 / 1°19'16"W

OS Eastings: 446684

OS Northings: 235235

OS Grid: SP466352

Mapcode National: GBR 7TF.NSX

Mapcode Global: VHCWG.1NW7

Entry Name: Callaly Cotttage

Listing Date: 8 December 1955

Last Amended: 5 May 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1200154

English Heritage Legacy ID: 243828

Location: Adderbury, Cherwell, Oxfordshire, OX17

County: Oxfordshire

District: Cherwell

Civil Parish: Adderbury

Built-Up Area: Adderbury

Traditional County: Oxfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire

Church of England Parish: Adderbury

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in
Adderbury

Listing Text

SP4635 ADDERBURY TANNERS LANE
(South side)
Adderbury West
6/105 Callaly Cottage
08/12/55 (Formerly listed as Callaby
Cottage, White Hart Lane)

GV II
House. 1624 on datestone probably extended late C17/early C18 incorporating a
C14 window; extended C20. Coursed squared marlstone with wooden lintels; thatch
roof with brick stacks. 3-unit plan of 2 builds, plus subsidiary ranges. 2
storeys plus attic and one storey plus attic. Taller 2-window section, to right,
has a chamfered plinth containing a cellar window and includes the datestone;
3-light C18 casements have leaded glazing. Lower bay to left includes a 6-panel
door, a C20 bay window, and a half dormer with a 3-light casement. Roof
continues over a subsidiary range to extreme left, with 2 double doors and a C20
dormer, partly rebuilt C20 and masking a former cart entry. Roof over higher
bays has flanking stacks and a gable parapet to right. Right gable wall contains
a small ancient wood-framed window, and has traces of a stone-mullioned window
in the gable; left gable of higher section has a small 3-light wood-mullioned
window with leaded glazing. Rear has further leaded casements. Facing into the
cart entry is a small re-used early-C14 window of 2 cusped lights with Y-tracery
and a hood mould. To rear of the lower bay is a small wing and a single-storey
C20 extension. Interior: 1624 range has 2 crossbeams with wide stop-chamfers,
and a fine early-C18 stone bolection-mould fireplace with a moulded stone
mantelshelf; first floor has chamfered intersecting beams; winder stair from
first floor to attics.
(Buildings of England: Oxfordshire: p419; R.B. Wood-Jones: Traditional Domestic
Architecture in the Banbury Region: p291)


Listing NGR: SP4668435235

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.