History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

South House Plus Attached Wall and 3 Gatepiers

A Grade II Listed Building in Adderbury, Oxfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.0168 / 52°1'0"N

Longitude: -1.3104 / 1°18'37"W

OS Eastings: 447421

OS Northings: 235601

OS Grid: SP474356

Mapcode National: GBR 7TF.KJ3

Mapcode Global: VHCWG.7KLR

Entry Name: South House Plus Attached Wall and 3 Gatepiers

Listing Date: 8 December 1955

Last Amended: 5 May 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1200173

English Heritage Legacy ID: 243841

Location: Adderbury, Cherwell, Oxfordshire, OX17

County: Oxfordshire

District: Cherwell

Civil Parish: Adderbury

Built-Up Area: Adderbury

Traditional County: Oxfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire

Church of England Parish: Adderbury

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in
Adderbury

Listing Text

SP4735 ADDERBURY THE GREEN
(South side)
Adderbury East
7/118 South House plus attached wall House' plus attacned wall
08/12/55 and 3 gatepiers
(Formerly listed as South
House and two sets of old
gatepiers)

GV II
Substantial house. 1824, altered and extended late C19; wall and gatepiers late
C17. Marlstone ashlar and coursed squared rubble; brick; Welsh-slate roofs with
ashlar and brick stacks. Probable central-stair plan with rear wing. 3 storeys
and 2 storeys. 3-window ashlar front of taller main range has 4-light sashes at
ground and first floors, except for a late-C19 tripartite sash to left of the
entrance, and has shorter 12-pane sashes at second floor; cornice and plain
parapet are rendered and painted, and conceal a shallow-pitched roof with gable
parapets bearing ashlar stacks. Late-C19 ashlar porch has an arched entrance and
side sashes plus a stone entablature. Hipped-roofed brick rear wing has further
sashes. Interior not inspected. Rubble wall, to right of the house,
approximately 2 metres high with a 3-course triangular coping, is broken by a
gateway with early-C19 iron gates and 2 large square limestone-ashlar piers with
chamfered plinths, cornices and large ball finials, from which the wall extends
approximately 30 metres to a further gatepier, part of the entrance to The
Orchard. See also "Wall and gatepier approximately 15 metres north of The
Orchard (not included)". Walls and gatepiers belonged to the large C16/C17
Mansion of the Cobb family, demolished 1815, a stone from which inscribed 1582
is re-set in one of the gatepiers.
(Buildings of England: Oxfordshire: p4i8; VCH: Oxfordshire: Vol IX, pll)


Listing NGR: SP4742135601

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.