This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.3477 / 51°20'51"N
Longitude: -2.251 / 2°15'3"W
OS Eastings: 382614
OS Northings: 160991
OS Grid: ST826609
Mapcode National: GBR 1SC.FQ7
Mapcode Global: VH96V.XDV5
Entry Name: Former Shop Adjoining No 1 to South the Swan Hotel
Listing Date: 18 April 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1200184
English Heritage Legacy ID: 312511
Location: Bradford-on-Avon, Wiltshire, BA15
Civil Parish: Bradford-on-Avon
Built-Up Area: Bradford on Avon
Traditional County: Wiltshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
Church of England Parish: Bradford-on-Avon Holy Trinity
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
1. CHURCH STREET
5411 (South Side)
18.4.52. No 1 (The Swan Hotel)
- Former shop adjoining
ST 8260 2/8 No 1 to south
C18 frontage, painted ashlar, 2 storeys and mansard, modern pantiles upper
pitch, stone-tiled lower. 3 flat-roofed dormers with casements. Centre
portion of facade breaks forward slightly, has rusticated quoins, and
pediment. A circular panel in tynpanum bears date (painted) "A.D. 1500",
but the building shows no external evidence of so early an origin. On
1st floor on each side of centre portion are 2 windows, double-hung sashes
with glazing bars, grouped in pairs with architrave surrounds, wide stone
mullions between moulded sills with 3 cut stone brackets under each.
All 1st floor windows have wrought-iron balconettes. Centre window over
door is Venetian, with semi-circular-headed centre light, Tuscan pilasters
and moulded sill with 4 brackets under. Moulded cornice and plain parapet
over each side unit of facade. Central doorway with semi-circular head,
keystone and imposts, fanlight with glazing bars, panelled door. Stone
doorcase with Tuscan pilasters andopen pediment. On right of door is
pair of windows similar to those on 1st floor, while to left is oblong
window and square-headed doorway with half-glazed door. Plain pilasters
each side of door, plain frieze and moulded cornice extending over both
door and window. The property of the Swan Hotel continues down the street
to the left of the front, with a building of lower elevation (formerly
a shop). Early 19th century 3 storeys. Coursed rubble. Hipped pantile
roof. Weathered string course. 2 windows on second floor. 3 paired windows
on the 1st floor. All sashes in plain reveals, glazing bars missing.
Original shop-front with recessed central door flanked by shop windows
under one wooden fascia. Original sash window of 6 large panes to right,
fixed windows to left. Double doors with rectangular fanlights over.
3 panels each door with upper 2 glazed in each.
All the listed buildings in Church Street the Chantry Little Chantry, Barton
Orchard and the Catholic Church of St Thomas More, Market Street form
a group with No 7 and Nos 9 to 19 Barton Orchard, Nos 5 and 6 and 27
to 31 (consec) and wall Newtown. The Swan Hotel also forms a group with
No 37 Market Street.
Listing NGR: ST8261460991
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings