This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.3473 / 51°20'50"N
Longitude: -2.2526 / 2°15'9"W
OS Eastings: 382501
OS Northings: 160939
OS Grid: ST825609
Mapcode National: GBR 1SC.F98
Mapcode Global: VH96V.WDZJ
Entry Name: Main Block of Abbey Mills
Listing Date: 18 April 1952
Last Amended: 23 August 1974
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1200197
English Heritage Legacy ID: 312516
Location: Bradford-on-Avon, Wiltshire, BA15
Civil Parish: Bradford-on-Avon
Built-Up Area: Bradford on Avon
Traditional County: Wiltshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
Church of England Parish: Bradford-on-Avon Holy Trinity
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
1. CHURCH STREET
5411 (South Side)
Main block of Abbey Mills,
(Formerly listed as India
ST 8260 2/12 18.4.52.
The main block of this factory, roughly square in plan, is an imposing
structure. 1875 by Richard Gane. Ashlar, hipped slate roofs, 5 storeys.
The principal elevation is 8-windowed, each window having a pointed segmental
head, glazing bars and swivel-hung transom light. The windows are contained
within shallow vertical recesses, carried upwards through all floors and
terminating in lancet-arched heads. Above is a continuous corbel table
supporting a moulded cornice and plain parapet with moulded coping. There
is a brick-built polygonal smoke stack on a square ashlar base.
All the listed buildings in Church Street the Chantry Little Chantry,
Barton Orchard and the Catholic Church of St Thomas More, Market Street
form a group with No 7 and Nos 9 to 19 Barton Orchard, Nos 5 and 6 and
27 to 31 (consec) and wall Newtown.
Listing NGR: ST8253260958
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings