History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Giles

A Grade II* Listed Building in Tockenham, Wiltshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.5129 / 51°30'46"N

Longitude: -1.9437 / 1°56'37"W

OS Eastings: 404002

OS Northings: 179332

OS Grid: SU040793

Mapcode National: GBR 3TH.1DL

Mapcode Global: VHB3Q.879K

Entry Name: Church of St Giles

Listing Date: 17 January 1955

Last Amended: 15 August 1985

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1200200

English Heritage Legacy ID: 316772

Location: Tockenham, Wiltshire, SN4

County: Wiltshire

Civil Parish: Tockenham

Traditional County: Wiltshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire

Church of England Parish: Tockenham St Giles

Church of England Diocese: Salisbury

Find accommodation in
Tockenham

Listing Text

SU 07 NW TOCKENHAM TOCKENHAM VILLAGE

8/85 Church of St Giles
(Formerly listed as the
17.1.55 Church of St John)

II*


Anglican Parish Church. Late C13. Nave, chancel and south porch.
Limestone rubble with ashlar quoins. Stone slate roofs. C17
timber framed bell tower over west end of nave. Nave has 3 two-
light trefoil headed windows with slightest ogee heads, and fourth
with Geometric trefoil in head. No hood mouldings. Chancel one
two-light and two single light low-side windows. East window
expansive 5-lights of 1876 restoration. East bay of south chancel
wall rebuilt C16 with 2-light windows. At eaves of chancel
chamfered wallhead table. South priest's door. West nave wall has
3 short lancets, the centre one raised over central buttress.
Opposing nave doors, almost round headed, chamfered, the north door
blocked. South porch probably C16-C17. Round headed outer door
with key and abaci. Trefoiled niche over, and cubic sundial finial.
Interior: 3-bay nave with wide C15-C16 ridged roof, arched braces
to collar, and ashlars. Walls stripped of plaster. Timber framed
rood loft door opening originally accessible from chancel. C17
timber framed wall in western bay incorporating posts of bell
tower. 3-bay chancel roof, renewed, underdrawn in plaster at
collar level. Walls unplastered. Font: C12 on later short
column; arcaded upper carved zone, curtained lower. Pulpit: C18
fielded panelled half octagon on stone column. Pews: Simple C18
with panelled ends. Chancel fittings C19, wrought iron communion
rail. Piscina. Monuments: On chancel north wall MARY GODDARD d;
1726, white marble, relievo bust in cartouche, urn over and
flanking obelisks carrying black marble tondi. Arms below. SMITH
family, 1776, arca, white marble on black by Rogers of Bath. Nave:
GODDARD SMITH and family, 1691, handsome multi-coloured marbles,
pediment on consoles, urn above. Putto on gable and cartouche
below. JACOB MATTHEWS, 1883: also 8 mitchells in floor to SMITH
family. Early C17 panelling in boiler enclosure. Hatchment over
chancel arch. External sculpture: South nave wall, C2-C3
limestone, Aesculapius standing, robed with snake entwined baluster
altar, all in exedra with ribbed vault. Date stone WW/MS/1699 on
same wall.


Listing NGR: SU0400279332

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.