This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.9061 / 53°54'21"N
Longitude: -1.6895 / 1°41'22"W
OS Eastings: 420498
OS Northings: 445593
OS Grid: SE204455
Mapcode National: GBR JRN8.1J
Mapcode Global: WHC8Y.02RV
Entry Name: The Mechanics Institute
Listing Date: 8 July 1974
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1200204
English Heritage Legacy ID: 341424
Location: Otley, Leeds, LS21
Civil Parish: Otley
Built-Up Area: Otley
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Otley All Saints
Church of England Diocese: Leeds
Nos 4 to 8 (even)
SE 2045 1/162 (The Mechanics' Institute)
Two storey five-bay institute of 1870 with central bay projecting and
neo-classical ornament. Set back from main building line with small retaining
wall with railings missing. Ground floor has large central portico surmounted
by balcony and supported by four Tuscan columns with pellet motif. Balcony
baluster columns replaced by plain supports and original rail ornaments
removed. Deep moulded cornice, and plain pilasters to quoins. Five round-headed
windows on first floor with colunmed reveals, centre one flanked by pilasters,
with classical head as keystone. Side windows have heads of contemporary
local industrialists etc. Four slightly-segmental headed windows on ground
floor. Modern glass doors. Date 1870) and Otley armorial device on columns
of central first floor window.
Nos 4 to 8 (even) form a group with Nos 1 to 11 (odd) Caley House
and Nos 65 and 67 Boroughgate.
Listing NGR: SE2049845593
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings