History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Dewes House

A Grade II* Listed Building in Mere, Wiltshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.0906 / 51°5'26"N

Longitude: -2.267 / 2°16'1"W

OS Eastings: 381396

OS Northings: 132401

OS Grid: ST813324

Mapcode National: GBR 0V3.HNP

Mapcode Global: FRA 6647.NLQ

Entry Name: Dewes House

Listing Date: 6 January 1966

Last Amended: 7 July 1989

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1200209

English Heritage Legacy ID: 320189

Location: Mere, Wiltshire, BA12

County: Wiltshire

Civil Parish: Mere

Built-Up Area: Mere

Traditional County: Wiltshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire

Church of England Parish: Mere St Michael the Archangel

Church of England Diocese: Salisbury

Find accommodation in
Mere

Listing Text


ST 8032-8132 MERE SALISBURY STREET
(south side)

6/60 Dewes House (formerly
6.1.66 listed as Dewes Guest House)

GV II*

Large house, part set back from street. Mid-late C17, C18 and C19. Fine lime-
stone ashlar on coursed squared stone plinth, concrete tile roof, replacing
stone slate. A symmetrical 5-bay house with central stair turret at back; large
added or modified wing to left brought forward to pavement, and other additions
to back. To street is 2 storeys and attics with basement 2+5 windows, all stone
mullion and transom 2-light with leading 4 in raised architraves except ground
floor, left, two later 12-pane sashes. Central fielded 8-panel door in
bolection-mould architrave to keystone under closed segmental pediment and on 3
stone steps. Raised alternating quoins to forward block and right end of main
building, plain string at mid-level; one small C20 flat roofed dormer to hipped
end of forward wing, and similar to main roof slope. Small stack right gable
and at junction of wings. Return of forward wing has single light stone transom
casement with leading over a 12-pane sash. Two basement lights to right of
doorway. Back has 2 deep projecting wings, centre is stair turret, now set
back, with a truncated cross window under a 2-light casement. To left a large
C19 extension with glazed upper level to a lead flat; to right the hipped end is
over large canted bay with margin bar sashes. Interior retains much of
interest, including in bottom left room fireplace with eared architrave to
moulded mantel shelf; good 8-panel fielded door in similar lines room behind
parlour with two 4-centred recesses, decorative cornice with grapes; dog-leg
stair has square newels, barley-twist balusters and heavy hand-rail. Bedroom
top right is lined throughout with painted panelling and doors. A photograph of
1948 shows the stone slates, and 2-light hipped dormers now replaced by flat-
roofed dormers; the slates were removed in 1963. An advertisement of 1795
refers also to "two large cellars with wine vaults" which were not inspected.


Listing NGR: ST8139632401

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.