This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.7973 / 53°47'50"N
Longitude: -1.4089 / 1°24'32"W
OS Eastings: 439030
OS Northings: 433607
OS Grid: SE390336
Mapcode National: GBR LSLJ.RH
Mapcode Global: WHDBL.BTB8
Entry Name: Barrowby Hall with Front Steps and Flanking Screen Walls and Gate Piers
Listing Date: 3 December 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1200237
English Heritage Legacy ID: 342177
Location: Austhorpe, Leeds, LS25
Civil Parish: Austhorpe
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Garforth St Mary the Virgin
Church of England Diocese: Leeds
This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 15/05/2014
Barrowby Hall, with front steps and flanking screen walls and gate piers
(Formerly listed as Barroby Hall, with front steps and flanking screen walls and gate piers, BARROBY LANE.
Previously listed as Barroby Hall)
House, now farmhouse, with front steps, screen walls and gatepiers. Dated 1677
on quoin at rear, but substantially remodelled c.1720 by William Etty, with
rear service wing added in C19; altered internally since 1945. Sandstone ashlar,
slate roof. Single-depth plan with receding wings giving appearance of double-
depth, stair turret projecting to rear. Two storeys, attic and cellar;
symmetrical 7-bay facade in classical style with band, moulded cornice, parapet,
has a central panelled door with shouldered architrave linked by a moulded apron
to the window above, boxed sashed 12-pane windows with triple keystones (those
at ground floor on the band) 4 flat-roofed attic dormers behind the parapet.
Left return wall has 4 windows on each floor; right return wall has some blind
windows, then the C19 service wing of 2 lower storeys extending to the right.
Rear: quoin to left return wall has inscribed date 1677; 2 1/2-storey gabled stair
turret in angle with this wing has inter alia a 3-light chamfered mullion window
to the top level. Hipped slate roof with chimneys of white brick. Interior:
altered, but retains full-height late C17 open-well staircase with moulded string,
turned balusters, and moulded handrail; and in rear room of left wing some moulded
plaster panels. Attached to front corners are high screen walls at right angles,
incorporating massive square gate piers with moulded caps; and approach to front
door is by 5 broad steps protected by a low wall incorporating side benches
to the deck, and ramped down to low piers.
Listing NGR: SE3903033607
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings