History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Old Market Hall

A Grade II Listed Building in Bingley, Bradford

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.848 / 53°50'52"N

Longitude: -1.8391 / 1°50'20"W

OS Eastings: 410681

OS Northings: 439101

OS Grid: SE106391

Mapcode National: GBR HRLY.MB

Mapcode Global: WHC91.QJFW

Entry Name: Old Market Hall

Listing Date: 9 August 1966

Last Amended: 18 October 1985

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1200253

English Heritage Legacy ID: 338023

Location: Bradford, BD16

County: Bradford

Civil Parish: Bingley

Built-Up Area: Bingley

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Bingley All Saints

Church of England Diocese: Leeds

Find accommodation in
Bingley

Listing Text

SE1039SE BINGLEY QUEEN STREET
SE106391 (south side)

9/163 Old Market Hall
9.8.66 (formerly listed as Old
Market Hall,Cross and
Stocks Prince of Wales
Park)
GV II

Open market-hall. Late C17 or early C18 with 2-bay addition dated 1753.
Ashlar, stone slate roof. Single storey. 5 bays. Square Doric columns
on stylobates support hipped roof. At junction with Butter Cross (q.v.)
is walled end with segmental-arched cart-entry with tie-stone jambs,
voussoirs with skewbacks and dated keystone. Oak king-post roof. The
structure of the earliest part probably dates from shortly after 1693
when a second market charter was obtained from William and Mary for a
Monday market. A much travelled structure: the market hall, Butter Cross
and stocks (q q.v.) formerly stood in the main street of Bingley, were
moved and erected in Prince of Wales Park in 1888, and were moved to their
present site c1984 just off the main street on a site previously occupied
by terrace houses (demolished). For all its disturbance it remains remarkably
intact and well preserved.


Listing NGR: SE1068139101

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.