History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Orpin's House

A Grade II* Listed Building in Bradford-on-Avon, Wiltshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.3467 / 51°20'48"N

Longitude: -2.2545 / 2°15'16"W

OS Eastings: 382368

OS Northings: 160882

OS Grid: ST823608

Mapcode National: GBR 1SC.DTW

Mapcode Global: VH96V.VDZY

Entry Name: Orpin's House

Listing Date: 18 April 1952

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1200276

English Heritage Legacy ID: 312524

Location: Bradford-on-Avon, Wiltshire, BA15

County: Wiltshire

Civil Parish: Bradford-on-Avon

Built-Up Area: Bradford on Avon

Traditional County: Wiltshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire

Church of England Parish: Bradford-on-Avon Holy Trinity

Church of England Diocese: Salisbury

Find accommodation in
Bradford on Avon

Listing Text

1. CHURCH STREET
5411 (North Side)

No 8 (Orpin's House)
ST 8260 2/18 18.4.52.

II* GV

2.
Late C17. Ashlar, stone-tiled roof, rusticated quoins. 2 storeys and
attics in 2 gables. 3 windows 2-light casements with stone mullions and
architrave surrounds, windows leaded. Two small square window openings,
glazed with bottle glass, between centre window and side windows on lst
floor. Moulded string at first floor level and moulded cornice at attic
floor level. Stone door surround with Tuscan pilasters, architrave, frieze
with triglyphs and guttae, and flat cornice. Semi-circular-headed doorway
with keystone and imposts. Square ashlar stacks at gable ends. In this
house lived Edward Orpin, for 40 years Parish Clerk of Bradford-on-Avon
(died 1781). He was the original of Gainsborough's painting "The Parish
Clerk" in the National Gallery.

All the listed buildings in Church Street the Chantry Little Chantry,
Barton Orchard and the Catholic Church of St Thomas More, Market Street
form a group with Nos 7 and 9 to 19 Barton Orchard, Nos 5 and 6 and 27
to 31 (consec) and wall Newtown.

Listing NGR: ST8236960883

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.